Displacement Question Solution

• Thread starter hotshot1kille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Displacement
In summary, the problem involves a wolf's displacement after wandering 64m [N15E], 93m [N20W], and 167m [N]. The sign convention used is positive for north to southeast and negative for south to northwest. The formula used is Δd = d3 - d2 - d1 and the attempted solution resulted in a displacement of 324m [N5W]. The key is to find the shortest distance between the initial and final points, which can be visualized by drawing the wolf's movement on paper and then drawing a straight line between those points.
hotshot1kille

Homework Statement

A wolf wanders 64 m [N15E], 93m[N20W], and 167 m [N]. What is her displacement?

North to South east is considered positive by my sign convention, and from south to north west, it is considered to be negative, once again by my sign convention. I've never seen problems like this before, I did make an attempt but i am getting the answer wrong.

Homework Equations

Δ d = d3 - d2 - d1

The Attempt at a Solution

Δd= (+ 167m [N]) - ( -93 m [N20W]) - (+ 64m [N15E])
= 324 m [N5W]

Physics news on Phys.org
Displacement is the shortest distance between your initial distance and final distance. Try drawing the wolfs movement on a paper with the angles then draw a line between the initial distance and final distance that is the displacement

So then what point is my point of reference, and i tried it but still nothing. Can someone do it and show how they got the right answer??

Related to Displacement Question Solution

1. What is simple displacement?

Simple displacement is the change in position of an object from one point to another. It is usually measured in distance and direction.

2. How is simple displacement different from distance?

Simple displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance only reflects the total length traveled without considering direction.

3. Can simple displacement be negative?

Yes, simple displacement can be negative if the object moves in the opposite direction of the reference point. This indicates that the object has moved backwards or in the opposite direction.

4. What is the formula for calculating simple displacement?

The formula for simple displacement is: displacement = final position - initial position. This means that you subtract the initial position from the final position to find the total displacement.

5. Can simple displacement be zero?

Yes, simple displacement can be zero if the object ends up in the same position as the initial position. This means that there was no change in position or movement.