Double Major in Physics and What?

In summary, it seems that a double major in physics and math is more employable than a major in physics and chemistry.
zoiberg137
Just wondering if I get get some opinions on what is thought to be more "employable", a double major in physics and math, or physics and chemistry?

Or if there's another combination you would like to recommend, feel free!

Some sources online say physics is a great thing to major in with the need for science related graduates right now...Other sources say physics is as "worthless" as philosophy. Whatever. So, I figure a double major, if i can pull it off, would be better than one in terms of finding a job after school. (although I guess I should add that I have every intention of getting a masters, maybe even phd eventually, but I won't try to decide which subject until I have my undergrad degree figured out...) And if I could get a job in the field WHILE pursuing a masters, that would be great...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you only care about empoyability, then a double major in physics and engineering is best.

Hmm, haven't considered that... I've always considered engineering to be an option for grad school. I was afraid of getting too specialized in a field during undergrad years then deciding I want to do something else. That's why I kind of like physics, I feel like it will provide a large number of options...

*bump

Since chemistry is applied physics and physics is applied math, I'd say getting a double in math and physics is more employable, at least for physicists. You don't need to know chemistry to do physics, so it would be irrelevant to take all of those classes if you want to be a physicist. However, if you want to be a chemist, having a strong physics background would look great, just as having a strong mathematical background looks great for physicists.

I agree that engineering is good for employent at the bachelors level, so are biochemistry, molecular biology and similar majors. If I were hiring, resumes with degree combinations like physics/English, physics/communications, physics/business would catch my attention and generate more interest than a science/math or double science major. The reason is that it's hard to find well rounded individuals who can function and communicate well in a more or less professional environment. Physics/art, physics/philosophy, physics/anthropology, and many others would be similarly impressive to me, as indicative of a person's diversity of interests and abilities. That being said, if I were back in undergrad, I would pick a second major based almost entirely on what I like to study most (no way would I ever pick business or communications, although I can certainly respect folks who like those fields). Just my opinion though.

Related to Double Major in Physics and What?

1. What options are available for a double major in Physics?

There are many options for a double major in Physics, as it is a versatile and interdisciplinary field. Some popular combinations include Physics and Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, Physics and Engineering, and Physics and Astronomy.

2. How long does it take to complete a double major in Physics?

The length of time to complete a double major in Physics depends on the specific program and university. On average, it may take an additional year or two beyond the standard four-year undergraduate degree.

3. Can I pursue a double major in Physics with any other major?

While Physics has many overlapping areas with other fields, it is important to carefully consider the workload and requirements when choosing a double major. Some majors may have more overlap and be easier to complete together, while others may require significantly more coursework and be more challenging to balance.

4. What are the benefits of a double major in Physics?

A double major in Physics can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wide range of career opportunities. It also allows for the development of strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to approach problems from multiple perspectives.

5. Are there any prerequisites for a double major in Physics?

Most universities will have specific prerequisites for a double major in Physics, which may include courses in calculus, physics, and other related fields. It is important to check with your university or program advisor for specific requirements.