Double Integration Using Polar Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral \int\int \frac{x^3}{x^2 + y^2}\,dxdy using polar coordinates. The triangle R, with vertices (0,0), (1,0), and (1,1) is used for this evaluation. The limits for r are dependent on the value of theta, and for theta=0, r goes from 0 to 1, while for theta=pi/4, r goes from 0 to sqrt(2). To integrate cos3x, the substitution u=sinx is used. The correct answer for the integral is pi over 12.
MisterMan

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int \frac{x^3}{x^2 + y^2}\,dxdy[/tex]

Use polar coordinates to evaluate the triangle R, with vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (1,1)

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int f(r,\theta) r\,drd\theta[/tex]

[tex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

[tex]x = rcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]y = rsin\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the triangle and got the upper limit of r to be 1 and the lower limit 0. I think the limits for theta are pi over 4 and 0, but I'm not sure, I got stuck on the integration part:

[tex]\int\,d\theta\int_0^1 \frac{(rcos\theta)^3}{r^2}r\,dr[/tex]

[tex]\int cos^3\theta\,d\theta\int_0^1 r^2\,dr[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int cos^3\theta\,d\theta[/tex]

At which point, I wasn't sure how to proceed. I tried to integrate it by splitting it into [tex]cos^2\theta[/tex] and [tex]cos\theta[/tex] and using [tex]\frac{1}{2}(1 + cos2\theta)[/tex], but I never got the correct answering ( I'm looking for pi over 12 ) since I believe I need theta on its own.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits for theta are correct, but your limits for r are wrong. The limits change depending on what theta equals. For theta=0, for example, r would go from 0 to 1. When theta=pi/4, however, r would go from 0 to sqrt(2). You want to determine how the limits vary as a function of theta.

To integrate cos3 x, you do the following:

[tex]\int \cos^3 \theta\,d\theta = \int (\cos^2 \theta)\cos \theta\,d\theta = \int (1-\sin^2 \theta)\cos\theta\,d\theta[/tex]

Then use the substitution [itex]u=\sin \theta[/itex]. Whenever you have an odd power of cosine, you can use this technique. I'm not sure if you'll need it for this problem though.

Vela, beaten me to it!

MAJOR EDIT: I am so so sorry to both of you for wasting your time. Me and my infinite stupidity didn't take a good enough look at the answer at the back of the book. The answer at the book did not give r = 1, but stated the upper limit for r was the line x = 1 ( Ah, how stupid of me ). This gives:

[tex]r = \frac{1}{cos\theta}[/tex]

Cancelling gives a third and evaluating the integral gives the required answer of pi over 12.

In hindsight, the problem was extremely simple if it was not for my lack of brain functionality. No, excuses I attempted this problem during the day, when I should be awake!

Anyway, apologises for wasting your time and thanks for for the help nonetheless.

Last edited:

Related to Double Integration Using Polar Coordinates

1. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in double integration?

The purpose of using polar coordinates in double integration is to simplify the integration process when dealing with circular or symmetric shapes. By converting to polar coordinates, the integration limits can be simplified and the integral can be solved more easily.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
where r is the distance from the origin to the point, and θ is the angle formed by the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin and the point.

3. What are the integration limits in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the integration limits for r are typically 0 to some value (depending on the shape), and the integration limits for θ are 0 to 2π (for a full circle) or some fraction of 2π (for a partial circle or sector).

4. Can polar coordinates be used for any shape?

No, polar coordinates are most useful for shapes that have circular or symmetric properties. If the shape does not have these properties, it may be more appropriate to use Cartesian coordinates for integration.

5. What is the double integration formula in polar coordinates?

The general formula for double integration using polar coordinates is:
∫∫f(r, θ) dA = ∫∫f(r cosθ, r sinθ) r dr dθ
where f(r, θ) is the function being integrated, dA is the area element in polar coordinates, and the limits of integration are determined based on the shape being integrated.