Double Integrals: Will this solution always give the correct answer?

• Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and solution involving finding the volume under a surface. The solution suggests subtracting the volume of a rectangle with height z=1, but there is concern about this method working for all questions. The person providing the solution points out that the paraboloid in the problem is upside down and suggests using z=2+x^2+(y-1)^2 instead. The original poster then realizes that their illustration was just an example and the suggested solution would work for the given question.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/question.PNG

Here is the answer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/solution.PNG

So what the answer says is that you can find the volume under the surface minus the volume of the rectangle with height z=1. However I don't see how this will work for every question. Here I will illustrate why I think their solution will not always be correct:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Photobook/Photo%202012-05-31%205%2004%2056%20PM.jpg

As you can see, if it so happens that the max height of the surface is less than 1 then subtracting the rectangle will give you an answer too small. Does anyone agree with me?
For those who are interested, I decided to subtract 1 from the z function and find the surface under z = 1+x^2+(y-2)^2 which also gave the correct answer.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, what I see is that you have the paraboloid upside down! With [itex]z= 2+ x^2+ (y- 1)^2[/itex], and squares never being negative, the smallest value of z will be 2 when x= 0 and y= 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, what I see is that you have the paraboloid upside down! With [itex]z= 2+ x^2+ (y- 1)^2[/itex], and squares never being negative, the smallest value of z will be 2 when x= 0 and y= 1.

Ah yes, the illustration I made was just an example that would not work right? But the question given here, because the height is always greater than 2, then subtracting a rectangle would work. Thanks for clearing that up.

Related to Double Integrals: Will this solution always give the correct answer?

1. How do double integrals differ from single integrals?

Double integrals involve integrating over a two-dimensional region, while single integrals involve integrating over a one-dimensional interval. This means that double integrals require two variables and two limits of integration, while single integrals only require one variable and one limit of integration.

2. Can double integrals be applied to any function?

Yes, double integrals can be used to find the volume under any continuous function, as long as the region of integration is defined and the limits of integration are appropriate for the function.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

The main purpose of using a double integral is to find the volume under a 3D surface or the area of a 2D region. It can also be used to calculate other physical quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

4. Is there a specific order in which the variables must be integrated in a double integral?

Yes, the order of integration can affect the final result of a double integral. This is known as the order of integration and it is important to choose the correct order to ensure the correct answer is obtained.

5. Can double integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double integrals are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering to solve real-world problems. They can be used to calculate volumes and areas of irregular shapes, as well as in applications such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.