Double integrals in polar coordinates

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the area between two circles using only polar coordinates, but is stuck because the left and right regions are not the same. The person suggests first drawing a diagram to help with the integration.
compliant

Homework Statement

Find

[tex]\int{\int_{D}x dA}[/tex]

where D is the region in Q1 between the circles x2+y2=4 and x2+y2=2x using only polar coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the two circles give me r=2 and r=2 cos [tex]\theta[/tex], and the integrand is going to be r2cos [tex]\theta[/tex], but I have no idea how to determine the bounds of integration in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
compliant said:
… I have no idea how to determine the bounds of integration in this case.

Hi compliant! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :wink:)

Just integrate θ from 0 to 2π (or -π and π), and integrate r between whatever values it goes between for a fixed value of θ. :wink:

I would recommend first drawing a picture. [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] is, of course, a circle with center at (0,0) and radius 2. [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2x= x^2- 2x+ y^2= 0[/itex] or [itex]x^2- 2x+ 1+ y^2= (x- 1)^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] is a circle with center at (1, 0) and radius 1: it is tangent to the y-axis at (0,0) and tangent to the first circle at (2, 0). Now think in terms of polar coordinates. Both equations become very simple in polar coordinates. What drawing the graph tells you is that you will want to handle the integration in three parts: [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex] to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex], and [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

suggested, the outside radius (the upper limit of integration) is always 2 and the inner radius (the lower limit of integration, for [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] is

tiny-tim, thanks for those. desperately needed.

hallsofivy, I did draw the diagram, and found that it was rather inconveniently symmetrical, which was why I got stumped. going by your suggestion, from θ = 0 to θ = π/2, I would be integrating along the right side of the curve, where the upper bound is r = 2, and the lower bound is r = 2 cos θ. I would then solve accordingly, with r2 cos θ as the integrand.

I'm just wondering though, how is the left side of the curve from θ = π/2 to θ = 3π/2 and not θ = π/2 to θ = π ? And as for the third part of the curve that goes from θ = 3π/2 to θ = 2π, that's...a straight line. =/

Argh.

sorry to do this, but bump.

Hi compliant ! :smile:

I'm confused :confused:

The area is between two circles, one touching both the edge and the centre of the other.

So there are two regions:

the "left" region, which is simply a semicircle, so you know the answer already, and you needn't integrate at all (though if you did, you would integrate a constant, over the whole angle π/2 to 3π/2)

and the "right" region, which is from -π/2 to π/2, which you seem to be ok with. :smile:

Related to Double integrals in polar coordinates

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of the area under a curve in the polar coordinate system. It involves integrating a function over a region in the polar plane.

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

A double integral in polar coordinates is different from a regular double integral because it is used to integrate functions that are expressed in terms of polar coordinates (r and θ) instead of rectangular coordinates (x and y).

3. When is it appropriate to use a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is appropriate to use when the region of integration is circular or has circular symmetry, and when the function being integrated is expressed in terms of polar coordinates.

4. How do you set up a double integral in polar coordinates?

To set up a double integral in polar coordinates, you must first determine the limits of integration for r and θ. These limits are typically represented by curves or lines in the polar plane. Then, the function being integrated is expressed in terms of r and θ, and the integral is set up as ∬f(r, θ) r dr dθ.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to calculate moments of inertia, electric fields, and gravitational forces, among other things. They can also be used to determine the center of mass and volume of irregularly shaped objects.