Double Integrals - application to centre of mass.

In summary: The double integral is needed because the mass is not distributed evenly in the two dimensional case. The density is not uniform, so the C.O.M coordinates would not be accurate.
CAF123
Gold Member
I know that for a system of particles, the x, y and z coordinates of the centre of mass are given by [tex] (\frac{1}{M} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} m_i x_i, \frac{1}{M} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} m_i y_i,\frac{1}{M} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} m_i z_i). [/tex]
For a solid body, we can treat this like a continuous distribution of matter of little mass elements [itex] dm. [/itex]The above becomes [tex] (\frac{1}{M} \int x dm,\frac{1}{M} \int y dm,\frac{1}{M} \int z dm). [/tex]
My question is: I also have a defintion of centre of mass using the double integral, that is, for the x coordinate say, [tex] x_{com} = \frac{1}{M} \int\int x \rho\, dA, [/tex] where [itex] dm = \rho\, dA [/itex] for 2 dimensional objects.
Why do we need the double integral?

As an aside, I also have in my notes that the area of a region R, [itex]\small Area(R) = \int\int_R dA, [/itex] but I also know that the volume of space below a curve [itex] z = f(x,y) [/itex] in a region [itex] R [/itex] is given by [itex] \int\int_R f(x,y) dA. [/itex] Just to check: The reason why the former describes an area, while the latter a volume is because we have some projection up the z axis, ie f(x,y).

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is a little confusing. At times you are talking about 3 dimensions, other times 2 dimensions.

In any case, using the sum over discrete masses being treated as points, space dimensions don't play a role. Your going from discrete to continuous misses the point in that dm = ρdA (2-d) or dm = ρdV (3-d) cannot be viewed as a 1-d integral.

Therefore when talking about real objects, spatially spread out, it is necessary to integrate over the area (2-d) or volume (3-d), so the integral is 2 or 3 dimensional.

Last edited:
Ok thanks.
For a planar object with density [itex] \rho(x,y) [/itex], the C.O.M is given by, [tex] (\frac{1}{M} \int\int x\,\rho\, dA, \frac{1}{M} \int\int y\,\rho\, dA). [/tex]
If this object is two dimensional, why the need for a double integral?. In my post previously, the C.O.M coordinates for a solid body (3D) were given as single integrals?As far as I understand from my text, the reason is to do with the density not being uniform in the former case?

The essentail point is that the integral with respect to dA means the integral over dxdy.
In three dimensions dV=dxdydz. When you use dm, it is an abstraction - you need to convert to ρdA or ρdV.

Related to Double Integrals - application to centre of mass.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface in a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in a Cartesian coordinate system.

2. How is a double integral used in finding the centre of mass?

A double integral can be used to find the centre of mass of a two-dimensional object by calculating the weighted average of the x and y coordinates. The integrand in the double integral represents the density of the object at a given point, and the limits of integration represent the boundaries of the object.

3. What is the physical significance of the centre of mass?

The centre of mass of an object represents the point at which the mass of the object is evenly distributed. This is important in physics because it can be used to calculate the object's motion and response to external forces.

4. Can a double integral be used for non-uniform objects?

Yes, a double integral can be used for non-uniform objects. In this case, the integrand would represent the mass density at each point, and the limits of integration would represent the boundaries of the object.

5. How is the centre of mass affected by the shape of an object?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the location of its centre of mass. Objects with more mass distributed towards one side will have a centre of mass closer to that side. Additionally, objects with more mass spread out over a larger area will have a centre of mass closer to the center of the object.