Double integral to find volume of a solid

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a double integral to find the volume of a solid bounded by two parabolic graphs in the first octant. The integral is set up as \int_0^2\int_0^{4-x^2} (4-x^2) dy dx.
mikky05v
Homework Statement
Set up a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs y=4-x2 and z=4-x2

The attempt at a solution

I drew myself a 3d graph but it's just a parabloid in the xy plane and a parabloid in the xz plane right? so I'm unsure how to set up my integral. This was my attempt, my thought was that perhaps z=4-x2 could be considered like the surface

[itex]\int[/itex]20[itex]\int[/itex]4-x20 (4-x2) dy dx

Could some one give me some input?

Physics news on Phys.org
mikky05v said:
Homework Statement
Set up a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs y=4-x2 and z=4-x2

The attempt at a solution

I drew myself a 3d graph but it's just a parabloid in the xy plane and a parabloid in the xz plane right? so I'm unsure how to set up my integral. This was my attempt, my thought was that perhaps z=4-x2 could be considered like the surface

[itex]\int[/itex]20[itex]\int[/itex]4-x20 (4-x2) dy dx

Could some one give me some input?

What you have done looks reasonable, but isn't there more detail about the region in question? Like first octant or y positive or something?? Otherwise the volume isn't bounded. Can't tell if your answer is correct without knowing more.

oh yes sorry first octant is what it says. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant but I assumed it meant only the positive section of the 3d graph

mikky05v said:
oh yes sorry first octant is what it says. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant but I assumed it meant only the positive section of the 3d graph

The first octant is where all three variables are positive. If that's your region your integral is set up correctly.

Likes 1 person

Related to Double integral to find volume of a solid

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional solid. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region in the xy-plane.

When is a double integral used to find the volume of a solid?

A double integral is used when the shape of the solid is not easily defined by a single function. It is also used when the solid has varying cross-sections along the z-axis.

How do you set up a double integral to find the volume of a solid?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. These limits are usually determined by the boundaries of the two-dimensional region in the xy-plane. The double integral is then set up using the function representing the cross-sectional area of the solid.

What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve on a two-dimensional graph. A double integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional solid by integrating over a two-dimensional region.

Are there any applications of double integrals in real life?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object, the volume of a fluid, or the work done by a force over a certain distance.