Double integral problem, conceptual help.

In summary, the volume of the prism formed by the equations x+z=1, x-z=1, y=2, y=-2, and the yz-plane can be calculated by finding the area of a triangle in the upper region of the xy-plane and multiplying it by 2, then multiplying by 4 to account for symmetry. The final answer is 4. This method was also confirmed by another individual.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the volume: Prism formed by x+z=1, x-z=1, y=2, y=-2, and the yz-plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I sketched the drawing and I found that I could take the upper region of the xy-plane with respects to x and z and a triangle was formed.
The bounds were from 0 to 1 with respects to x and from 0 to z=1-x with respects to z.
So i integrated dzdx and got the answer of 1/2 for the triangle.

I then multiplied the triangle area by 2, since we have to take the volume of above the xy-plane and below the xy-plane which due to symmetry, I assume this works.

I then multiplied by 4 as y=-2 and y=2 distance results in 4 units.

So my answer came to be "4".

This seems a bit too...easy, however, I can't find anything conceptually wrong with my procedure.

Did I perform this operation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If y = f(x, z) ≡ 2 & by only calculating the part of the prism in one octant then multiplying by 4 (symmetry) I got ##4\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x} f(x, z) dz\,dx = 4\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x} 2\,dz\,dx = 4##. That's the same as I got by just doing (length)x(width)x(height)/2 so it seems right...

Likes RJLiberator
Oh wow, that is awesome. It made sense to me in my head, but it seemed like I was missing something. I'm glad we got the same answer. Thank you for checking.

Related to Double integral problem, conceptual help.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral involves finding the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral involves finding the volume under a surface in two dimensions. The integration process is also different, as a double integral requires the use of multiple integrals and may involve changing the order of integration.

3. What is the purpose of solving a double integral?

Solving a double integral allows for the calculation of volume, as well as the determination of other important quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia. It is also used in various fields of physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems.

4. What are some common techniques for solving double integrals?

There are several techniques for solving double integrals, including using iterated integrals, changing the order of integration, and using substitution or trigonometric identities. Other techniques such as using polar coordinates or the method of cylindrical shells may also be used in certain cases.

5. How can I check if my solution to a double integral is correct?

To check if your solution to a double integral is correct, you can use techniques such as graphing the function and region of integration, using symmetry properties, or verifying the solution using a computer or calculator. It is also important to carefully check all steps of the integration process and make sure they are correct.