Double integral new coordinate system calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a double integral calculation for a given region, where the first part yields an answer of 1/4. The second part introduces a new coordinate system and the use of the Jacobian is necessary to accurately calculate the integral. The process is outlined in the conversation and ultimately leads to a final answer of 11/18. The use of polar coordinates is mentioned but deemed ineffective due to the lack of a constant radius.
cambo86

Homework Statement

This is a 2 part question. I'm fine with the first part but the 2nd part I'm struggling with.

The first part asks us to calculate the double integral,
[itex]\int\int[/itex]Dx2dA
for, D = {(x,y)|0≤ x ≤1, x≤ y ≤1}
For this part I got an answer of 1/4.

For the 2nd part we introduce a new coordinate system for D,
x = 1-st, 0≤ s ≤1
y = s, 0≤ t ≤1

The Attempt at a Solution

= [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^1[/itex](1-st)2dt ds
= [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^1[/itex](1-2st+s2t2)dt ds
= [itex]\int_0^1[/itex]t-st2+[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]s2t3 ds, from t=0 to t=1
= [itex]\int_0^1[/itex]1-s+[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]s2 ds
= s-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]s2+[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]s3, from s=0 to s=1
= 1-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{11}{18}[/itex]

I feel like,
dA [itex]\neq[/itex] dt ds
I'm not sure what it equals though. I thought I could use polar coordinates but I don't have a constant radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
cambo86 said:

Homework Statement

This is a 2 part question. I'm fine with the first part but the 2nd part I'm struggling with.

The first part asks us to calculate the double integral,
for, D = {(x,y)|0≤ x ≤1, x≤ y ≤1}
For this part I got an answer of 1/4.
Okay, so you got this wrong. In more detail this is
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^1\int_{y= x}^1 x^2dydx= \int_0^1 (1- x)x^2 dx[/tex]
What do you get for that?

For the 2nd part we introduce a new coordinate system for D,
x = 1-st, 0≤ s ≤1
y = s, 0≤ t ≤1

The Attempt at a Solution

= [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^1[/itex](1-st)2dt ds
You can't just replace "dydx" with "dtds". Since you are now measuring distance differently, the area will be measured differently. Use the Jacobian:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\end{array}\right|[/tex][tex]= \left|\begin{array}{cc}-s & -t \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right|= -s[/tex]

So you have to replace "dxdt" with -s dsdt as well as replacing [itex]x^2[/itex] with [itex](1- st)^2[/itex].

= [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^1[/itex](1-2st+s2t2)dt ds
= [itex]\int_0^1[/itex]t-st2+[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]s2t3 ds, from t=0 to t=1
= [itex]\int_0^1[/itex]1-s+[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]s2 ds
= s-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]s2+[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]s3, from s=0 to s=1
= 1-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{11}{18}[/itex]

I feel like,
dA [itex]\neq[/itex] dt ds
Yes, that is the difficulty. Use the Jacobian, as I said before.

I'm not sure what it equals though. I thought I could use polar coordinates but I don't have a constant radius.

Sorry, the lower bound on y for the first part should have been 1-x but I should be able to work through the rest of the reply and get an answer. Thank you for the detailed reply.

Related to Double integral new coordinate system calculation

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume under a surface or the area between two surfaces. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane.

What is a new coordinate system?

A new coordinate system is a way of representing points in space using different variables or axes. It is often used to simplify calculations and make them more applicable to a particular problem.

Why is a new coordinate system used in double integral calculations?

A new coordinate system may be used in double integral calculations to make the problem easier to solve, or to better represent the shape of the region being integrated over. It can also make certain symmetries or patterns in the problem more apparent.

How do you calculate a double integral using a new coordinate system?

The process for calculating a double integral using a new coordinate system involves first choosing an appropriate coordinate system, setting up the integral in terms of the new variables, and then evaluating the integral using the appropriate techniques for that coordinate system.

What are some common examples of new coordinate systems used in double integral calculations?

Some common examples of new coordinate systems used in double integral calculations include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These systems are often used when the region being integrated over has certain symmetries or when the original Cartesian coordinates make the problem more complicated.