Double check multi-choice questions on concepts

• Thread starter AFSteph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, the conversation discusses multiple choice questions related to Newton's laws in the context of bobsled racing. The questions ask about different examples of Newton's laws, such as an object at rest not moving until a force is applied (Newton's first law), the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration (Newton's second law), and action-reaction pairs (Newton's third law). The conversation also includes an example of how doubling the force and mass can result in the same acceleration, and how an object with a net force of 0 can still have constant velocity and momentum.
AFSteph
Hello again! This time I have a bunch of multiple choice questions, some of which I'm really not sure on, so I'd really appreciate a little help. Questions I'm really unsure about will be marked in red.

In these questions we are to assume g = 10 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] unless otherwise specified.

"Bobsled racing is a popular Olympic sport. Questions 10-14 ask you to apply what you have learned about Newton's laws in both Part One and Part Two to this sport. In answering the questions you should neglect the force that the bobsled and the ground exert on each other."

10. "A bobsled at rest will not move until someone pushes it. This is an example of which of Newton's laws?"
(A) Newton's first law (B) Newton's second law (C) Newton's third law (D) None of these
My answer: (A) Newton's first law

11. "Two men push a bobsled for 15 meters and then jump on the bobsled at the starting line. During their first run two men push the bobsled with a force of 8N before they jump on. During their second run the same men push with a force of 10N and are going faster when they jump on than were during in their first run. This is an example of which of Newton's laws?"
(A) Newton's first law (B) Newton's second law (C) Newton's third law (D) None of these
My answer: (B) Newton's second law

12. "At the bottom of the bobsled course, the bobsled collides with straw bales, which help slow it to a stop. The force exerted by the bobsled on the bales is exactly the same as the force exerted by the bales on the bobsled. This is an example of which of Newton's laws?"
My answer: (C) Newton's third law

13. "If a bobsled hitting a straw bale is the action force, what is the reaction force?
(A) force of gravity on the bobsled (the bobsled's weight) (B) the mass of bobsled
(C) the force exerted by the straw bale on the bobsled (D) air resistance (E)none of the above
My answer: (C) the force exerted by the straw bale on the bobsled

14. "When the bobsled hits the straw bales, the bobsled recoils backwards, but the straw bales move only slightly. This is because (A) the bobsled exerts no force on the straw bales (B) the straw bales exert a greater force on the bobsled than the bobsled exerts on the straw bales (C) the mass of the straw bales is greater than the mass of the bobsled (D) none of these
My answer: (C) the mass of the straw bales is greater than the mass of the bobsled.

15. "The net force acting on an object results in an acceleration of 2 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]. If both the net force action on the object and the mass of the object are doubled, what will be the resulting acceleration? (A) 2 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] (B) 4 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] (C) 8 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] (D) 1/2 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] (E) None of these
My answer: I think it's A but I'm not sure... a = F/m so doubling both should give the same result, right?

16. "If the net force acting on an object is 0, what can you conclude the object's momentum and acceleration?" (A) The momentum and acceleration of the object are 0. (B) The momentum of the object is constant and and the acceleration of the object is 0 (C) The momentum of the object is 0 and the acceleration is a constant 10 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]. (D) None of these
My answer: I think it's B but I'm not sure... This question confuses me the most.

I have more questions but that's enough for now. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's great - for each one, please provide an example of your reasoning.
i.e. for 10. what makes you think of Newtons first law here?
Can you make a simple statement, in words, each of Newton's laws and compare them to the questions?

#13. action-reaction pairs cannot cancel out.

#15. you gave an example of your reasoning.
A good way to check is to put in the math.
In the first case you have a1=F/m
In the second case you have force 2F and mass 2m so a2=2F/2m=F/m = a1 ... so your reasoning was correct.

#16. if you showed your reasoning then I could see how you got confused, and help you with that.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
#16. if you showed your reasoning then I could see how you got confused, and help you with that.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Now that I've mulled it over a bit, it's obvious it's B. I didn't really understand what momentum was (mass x velocity). So an object with a net force acting on it of 0 could be moving at constant velocity or at rest, have no acceleration and a constant velocity/momentum.

Next time I will make sure to include my reasoning. Thank you.

Well done.
You'll also find that having to explain your reasoning to someone else will often get you the answer to the question too.

Hello! It's great that you are double-checking your understanding of these concepts through multiple choice questions. Let's go through each question and confirm your answers.

10. You are correct, this is an example of Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia. An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

11. You are also correct, this is an example of Newton's second law. The greater force applied results in a greater acceleration, as described by the equation F=ma.

12. Good job, this is an example of Newton's third law, also known as the law of action and reaction. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

13. You are correct, the reaction force in this scenario is the force exerted by the straw bale on the bobsled. This is in accordance with Newton's third law.

14. Your answer is correct, the mass of the straw bales is greater than the mass of the bobsled, resulting in a smaller acceleration for the straw bales compared to the bobsled.

15. You are correct, the resulting acceleration will still be 2 m/s^2. Doubling both the net force and mass will result in the same acceleration value.

16. Your answer is correct, the momentum of the object will remain constant since the net force is 0. However, the acceleration will also be 0 since there is no net force acting on the object.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had with these questions. Keep up the good work! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Related to Double check multi-choice questions on concepts

1. What is the purpose of double checking multi-choice questions on concepts?

The purpose of double checking multi-choice questions on concepts is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the questions. By double checking, you can identify any errors or confusing wording that may affect the ability of students to answer the question correctly.

2. How can I double check multi-choice questions on concepts effectively?

The most effective way to double check multi-choice questions on concepts is to carefully read through each question and answer option multiple times. You can also ask a colleague or fellow expert in the field to review the questions and provide feedback.

3. Should I double check all multi-choice questions on concepts or just a select few?

It is important to double check all multi-choice questions on concepts to ensure consistency and eliminate any potential errors. However, if you are short on time, you can prioritize checking the questions that you feel are most important or challenging.

4. How can I ensure that my multi-choice questions on concepts are fair and unbiased?

To ensure fairness and lack of bias in multi-choice questions on concepts, it is important to use clear and neutral language, avoid using misleading or loaded terms, and provide balanced and diverse answer options. It is also helpful to have a diverse group of individuals review the questions for any potential biases.

5. Can I use software or tools to double check multi-choice questions on concepts?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can help with double checking multi-choice questions on concepts. These tools can check for spelling and grammar errors, duplicate or similar answer options, and provide statistics on the difficulty level of each question. However, it is still important to manually review the questions to ensure accuracy and fairness.