Problem with Centripetal velocity on a banked corner

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help on a physics question on a forum. The student is having trouble with their instructor who insists they are right but refuses to explain. The question is about a bobsled going into a turn with a banked angle and the student is looking for help with finding the velocity and understanding the teacher's solution. The conversation also mentions a previous question on the forum.
Astraithious
first of all thanks for reading and especially thank you to people who helped with my previous question here https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...on-change-with-the-angle.798572/#post-5019349

Unfortunately i am having more problems with this instructor insisting she is right and refusing to elaborate so i am here again to ask how her solution here is correct

Example #4:
A bobsled goes into a turn (r=25m) with an banked angle of 40 degrees. Assuming no friction (pretty good assumption), a) what is the velocity of the bobslead b) what happens if the bobsled comes into the same turn above this speed? c) what happens if the bobsled comes into the same turn below this speed?

bobsled_answer.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
centripetal acceleration = v2/R
Force of static friction = µs * N

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found through another diagram
carbank.gif

however i am unfamiliar with how to get
that vmax from the x and y and would love some help there deriving it.

either way though using that vmax for frictionless i get 14.3ms. I think the answer she gets is just not using the right order of operations

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me which is your solution and which your teacher's. The handwritten one is fine except for the numerical calculation at the end. It should produce 14.33, or thereabouts.

the hand written is hers, and yeah i thought so as well. very annoying taking a course with so many errors

Related to Problem with Centripetal velocity on a banked corner

1. What is the problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner?

The problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner is that it can cause a vehicle or object to slide off the curve if the velocity is too high or too low. This can lead to accidents and loss of control.

2. How does the angle of the banked corner affect centripetal velocity?

The angle of the banked corner affects centripetal velocity by providing a vertical component of force that counteracts the centrifugal force, allowing the object to maintain a stable curved path. If the angle is too steep or too shallow, it can affect the balance of these forces and cause problems with the object's velocity.

3. What factors contribute to a problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner?

Some factors that contribute to a problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner include the speed of the object, the angle of the banked corner, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, and the radius of the curve. Any of these factors being too high or too low can lead to issues with maintaining a stable velocity on the curve.

4. How can you calculate the appropriate centripetal velocity for a banked corner?

To calculate the appropriate centripetal velocity for a banked corner, you can use the equation v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the curve, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the banked corner. This equation takes into account the factors that contribute to a stable velocity on a banked curve.

5. How can the problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner be prevented?

The problem with centripetal velocity on a banked corner can be prevented by ensuring that the appropriate speed and angle are maintained for the curve, as well as having a sufficient coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. Additionally, proper vehicle handling and steering techniques can also help prevent any issues with centripetal velocity on banked corners.