Dot Product Involving Path of a Curve

In summary, the proof involves using the given equations to show that the dot product of the gradient of f at gamma(t) with the derivative of gamma(t) is equal to the squared magnitude of the gradient of f at gamma(t), which is a constant. This is achieved by using the chain rule and realizing that f is a constant for all t.
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

Let ##\gamma(t)## be a path describing a level curve of ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}##. Show, for all ##t##, that ##( \nabla f ) (\gamma(t))## is orthogonal to ##\gamma ' (t)##

Homework Equations

##\gamma(t) = ((x(t), y(t))##
##\gamma ' (t) = F(\gamma(t))##
##F = \nabla f = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2}\right)## [this is called a gradient field]

None of these were given for the question at hand but I think they might be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are the parameters for ##\gamma(t)##, then ##( \nabla f ) (\gamma(t)) = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)##

But both ##\nabla f (\gamma(t))## and ##\gamma ' (t)## are equal to ##F(\gamma(t))##, so the dot product is

##F(\gamma(t)) \cdot F(\gamma(t)) = ||F(\gamma(t))||^2##

At this point, I'm stuck. I don't think ##||F(\gamma(t))||^2## would be 0 for any ##t## let alone for any function ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}##. Did I make a bad assumption/simplification somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that [itex]f(\lambda(t))[/itex] is a constant for all t and use the chain rule.

EDIT: I see now, thank you for the help!

Last edited:

Related to Dot Product Involving Path of a Curve

1. What is the dot product involving path of a curve?

The dot product involving path of a curve is a mathematical operation that calculates the scalar projection of one vector onto another vector. It is used to determine the amount of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector.

2. How is the dot product involving path of a curve calculated?

The dot product involving path of a curve is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can also be written as the product of the vector components in the same direction.

3. What is the significance of the dot product involving path of a curve in physics?

The dot product involving path of a curve is used in physics to calculate work done by a force on an object. It also helps in determining the projection of a force on a specific direction.

4. Can the dot product involving path of a curve be negative?

Yes, the dot product involving path of a curve can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the vectors are working in opposite directions.

5. How is the dot product involving path of a curve used in real-life applications?

The dot product involving path of a curve has various real-life applications such as calculating the amount of force applied on an object, determining the angle between two objects, and predicting the trajectory of a moving object. It is also used in computer graphics and 3D animation to determine the lighting and shading of objects.