Doris Day: Queen of 1950s & '60s Cinema, Dies at 97

• News
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary: Born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff in San Francisco in 1922, Day was the daughter of German immigrants. She began her singing career in the late 1930s and made her film debut in the 1944 musical film The Harvey Girls. In 1948, she starred in the first of her landmark films, Pillow Talk, for which she won her first Oscar nomination.In the 1950s and ’60s, Day starred in a string of successful films, including Rock Hudson and Doris Day: A Personal Statement, and released a string of popular records. Though she retired from acting in the late 1970s, she continued to make occasional appearances onscreen and in concert until her death.
https://www.apnews.com/b9a04d9ab2ce4276b2f6bdb6b39af585
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Doris Day, the honey-voiced singer and actress whose film dramas, musicals and innocent sex comedies made her a top star in the 1950s and ’60s and among the most popular screen actresses in history, has died. She was 97.

The Doris Day Animal Foundation confirmed Day died early Monday at her Carmel Valley, California, home. The foundation said she was surrounded by close friends.

“Day had been in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia, resulting in her death,” the foundation said in an emailed statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
R.I.P. Doris. I will always remember that I sang (sort of) que sera in a chat with someone (IIRC it was a nurse) on the internet. Guess this song will always remain!

Likes jedishrfu
R.I.P America's Sweetheart.

Likes jedishrfu
I remember watching her movies with my mother (two years older than Day) when they came to TV.

I love Oscar Levant's line "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

That is, Levant knew Day before she became famous playing virginal characters in movies.

Someone, about 15 years ago, shouted at me; "Doris Day Parking!".
I'd never heard the term before, but immediately understood what it meant:

...In 1960s Doris Day movies, whenever [she] would arrive at her destination, a parking space would be available right in front of it so she could drive her convertible right in.

Another tribute to Doris Day from VOX:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/...films-legacy-rock-hudson-terry-melcher-manson
Doris Day, who has died at 97 in her home in California, was a movie star unique even among other movie stars of her era. Her brand of effortless charm and wholesome femininity made her the embodiment of the ideal woman during the late ’50s and early ’60s. She was simultaneously virginal yet sexy, career-focused yet domestic, elegant yet approachable; she didn’t just “enjoy being a girl” — she presented an uncomplicated, nigh-mythical image of womanhood.

Yet Day’s peppy all-American girl persona belied a career full of hard work that made her far more realistic than she seemed — and even as she represented a vanishing vision of the perfect woman, her own life was an example of just how far removed that image was from reality.

Related to Doris Day: Queen of 1950s & '60s Cinema, Dies at 97

1. Who was Doris Day?

Doris Day was an American actress, singer, and animal welfare activist. She rose to fame in the 1950s and 1960s as one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, known for her wholesome image and iconic roles in romantic comedies and musicals.

2. When did Doris Day pass away?

Doris Day passed away on May 13, 2019 at the age of 97.

3. What made Doris Day such a beloved figure in 1950s and '60s cinema?

Doris Day's charm, talent, and endearing personality made her a favorite among audiences during the 1950s and '60s. She also had a successful career as a singer, with many hit songs, and her roles in romantic comedies and musicals showcased her versatility and likability.

4. What were some of Doris Day's most famous films?

Doris Day starred in many popular films during her career, including "Pillow Talk," "Calamity Jane," "The Man Who Knew Too Much," and "Love Me or Leave Me."

5. How did Doris Day impact the film industry and popular culture?

Doris Day's talent, charm, and wholesome image made her a cultural icon during the 1950s and '60s. She also paved the way for future actresses, proving that women could be both successful and independent in Hollywood. Her legacy continues to inspire generations of fans and performers.