Doppler shift and Popular Inversion question

In summary, the conversation discusses multiple choice questions related to red shift, population inversion, and the emission of intense light by lasers. The correct answers are: 1) The increase in wavelength due to Doppler shift, of spectral lines from spontaneous photon emission; 3) By stimulation of emission of light in a gas; and 3) Population inversion implies many photos are emitted per second. There is also a mention of laser light being of the same frequency and wavelength, and that intensity of light is somewhat dependent on wavelength.
Eng student
Hi, I've got a multiple choice piece of work to do with some questions I cannot figure out. They are:

In regards to red shift, which one is Doppler shift defined as:

1. The increase in wavelength due to Doppler shift, of spectral lines from SPONTANEOUS photon emission from elements on cosmic bodies retreating from the earth
OR
2. The increase in wavelength due to Doppler shift, of spectral lines from STIMULATED photon emission from elements on cosmic bodies retreating from the earth

I’m guessing it is answer 1, spontaneous photon emission. Can someone confirm?
andIn regards to Population inversion how can this be achieved practically?

1. Injection of energy from an external source
2. Increase the number of free electrons in a solid
3. By stimulation of emission of light in a gas

I'm 95% certain it is answer 1 but just need confirmation.

Lasers emit intense light due to:

1. Every photon being of the same wavelenth
2. Laser light does not diverge
3. Population inversion implies many photos are emitted per second
4. The frequency of laser light can be controlled
5. Laser light is in the visible spectrum.

I know it is not answer 5. I know that the photons in laser light are f the same frequency and wavelength, and that intensity of light is somewhat dependent on wavelenght.

So I'm guessing it is answer 1 or answer 3, but most likely answer 3.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your questions! The correct answers are: In regards to red shift, which one is Doppler shift defined as:1. The increase in wavelength due to Doppler shift, of spectral lines from SPONTANEOUS photon emission from elements on cosmic bodies retreating from the earthIn regards to Population inversion how can this be achieved practically?3. By stimulation of emission of light in a gasLasers emit intense light due to:3. Population inversion implies many photos are emitted per second

Related to Doppler shift and Popular Inversion question

1. What is the Doppler shift?

The Doppler shift is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave (such as sound or light) due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This phenomenon is named after Austrian physicist Christian Doppler, who first described it in 1842.

2. How does the Doppler shift affect sound waves?

The Doppler shift can cause a change in the perceived pitch of a sound wave. When the source of the sound is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave appears to increase, making the sound higher in pitch. Conversely, if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency appears to decrease, making the sound lower in pitch.

3. What is a popular inversion question related to the Doppler shift?

A popular inversion question related to the Doppler shift is: "Why do the sirens of emergency vehicles sound different when they are approaching and when they are moving away?" This is due to the Doppler effect, as the sound waves from the siren are compressed when the vehicle is approaching and stretched when it is moving away.

4. How is the Doppler shift used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the Doppler shift is used to measure the movement and velocity of celestial objects. By analyzing the shift in the wavelengths of light emitted by stars and galaxies, scientists can determine whether they are moving towards or away from Earth, as well as their speed and direction of movement.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler shift and the Doppler effect?

The terms "Doppler shift" and "Doppler effect" are often used interchangeably, but they technically refer to different aspects of the same phenomenon. The Doppler shift specifically describes the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, while the Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in pitch or tone of a sound wave due to the Doppler shift.