Doppler effect spectrum of a star

In summary: The trouble with this conclusion is that the speed, v, of higher energy particles (blue) would be greater than the speed of lower energy particles (red) (E=1/2mv^2); yet the speed of light in a vacuum, c, is constant, independent of the photon's energy. How can we say red (less energy) and UV light (higher energy) travel at the same speed, c, assuming both photons have the same mass? Shouldn't UV light travel faster by virtue of its greater energy (E= hf= 1/2mv^2)?Yes, the two equations actually refer to different forms of energy-- kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE).
mpswee2

Homework Statement

An astronomer observes a hydrogen line in the spectrum of a star. The wavelength of hydrogen in the laboratory is 6.563 x 10-7m, but the wavelength in the star’s light is measured at 6.56186 x 10-7m. Which of the following explains this discrepancy?

A) The star is moving away from Earth.

B) The wavelength of light that the star is emitting changes constantly.

C) The frequency of light that the star is emitting changes constantly.

D) The star is approaching Earth.I chose A, the star is moving away from the observer. D is correct. My reasoning: Since the photon's wavelength observed in the laboratory (lambda') is greater than the actual wavelength (lambda) issued from the star, I thought this meant the star was moving AWAY. The wavelength is "stretched out" as the star recedes from the observer, and the observed frequency is smaller.

Am I switching around the the Doppler effect on wavelength and frequency?
Could someone clarify the whole concept here, which I must have misunderstood.
(The effect above is called a blue shift-- but I'm not sure why.)

2) This question makes me wonder if, for photons with wavelength in the visible range, can the Doppler effect have an effect on the color perceived?? In other words, if an object emitting yellow light were receding from the observer, might the light actually be perceived as green or blue (ie shorter wavelength)?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mpswee2 said:
I chose A, the star is moving away from the observer. D is correct. My reasoning: Since the photon's wavelength observed in the laboratory (lambda') is greater than the actual wavelength (lambda) issued from the star, I thought this meant the star was moving AWAY. The wavelength is "stretched out" as the star recedes from the observer, and the observed frequency is smaller.

Am I switching around the the Doppler effect on wavelength and frequency?
Could someone clarify the whole concept here, which I must have misunderstood.
(The effect above is called a blue shift-- but I'm not sure why.)

The correct answed is D. Think about it this way: the wavelength emitted by hydrogen in the reference frame of the star is 6.563 x 10-7m, i.e., the same as for hydrogen in the laboratory frame. However, the light arrives to Earth with a lower wavelength. This means that the frequency of the arriving light is higher than normal (frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength). Increased frequency means that the source is moving toward us. Remember ambulance siren? It has a higher pitch (a higher frequency) when the ambulance moves toward us.

The star is approaching the Earth with a speed [tex]v \approx 52\ \mathrm{km/s}[/tex], which you can calculate by solving:

[tex]\displaystyle \lambda^{\prime} = \lambda \left( \frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}\right)^{1/2} \quad \text{ where } \quad \beta = \frac{v}{c}[/tex]

the photon's wavelength observed in the laboratory (lambda') is greater than the actual wavelength (lambda) issued from the star
You probably overlooked that [tex]6.561[/tex] is smaller than [tex]6.563[/tex].
Anyway, if the wavelength is shorter than it should, it means that the line is more on the blue side of the visible spectrum, because blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light, and that's why we call this phenomenon blueshift.

can the Doppler effect have an effect on the color perceived?? In other words, if an object emitting yellow light were receding from the observer, might the light actually be perceived as green or blue (ie shorter wavelength)?
Yes, of course. But it would be quite the contrary: if an object were receding from you, you would see it redshifted. A yellow object would become orange or red.

Doppler in depth...

thanks, folks. can we think of the approaching emitter as (sort of) "hurrying" the photons along-- as if pushing-- which compresses the wavelength, increases the frequency, and thus adds energy (E=hf)? Which is the reason we call the effect a blueshift, ie increasing photon E?

In this case, is it true that photons from an approaching emitter arrive with more energy (presumably the emitter's kinetic energy) than photons from a stationary emitter, which arrive with more energy than a receding emitter??

The trouble with this conclusion is that the speed, v, of higher energy particles (blue) would be greater than the speed of lower energy particles (red) (E=1/2mv^2); yet the speed of light in a vacuum, c, is constant, independent of the photon's energy. How can we say red (less energy) and UV light (higher energy) travel at the same speed, c, assuming both photons have the same mass? Shouldn't UV light travel faster by virtue of its greater energy (E= hf= 1/2mv^2)??

Do the two equations for energy-- E=hf and KE=1/2mv^2-- refer to different forms of energy? Or are applied under different circumstances?

A little jumbled. Thanks for your all's help.

Last edited:
Gee! You're using the wrong equations for energy! A photon carries a momentum
[tex]p = h/\lambda[/tex].

According to special relativity:

[tex]\displaystyle E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m_0^2 c^4[/tex]. But photons have no mass! Therefore, no [tex]\frac 1 2 mv^2[/tex]!

Ah! I see. Thanks.

But what about the interpretation of Doppler...

In this case, is it true that photons from an approaching emitter arrive with more energy (presumably the emitter's kinetic energy) than photons from a stationary emitter, which arrive with more energy than a receding emitter??

Sure. That immediately follows from [tex]~E = hf[/tex].

Related to Doppler effect spectrum of a star

1. What is the Doppler effect spectrum of a star?

The Doppler effect spectrum of a star refers to the shift in the wavelengths of light emitted by a star due to its motion towards or away from Earth. This shift is caused by the change in the distance between the star and Earth, which affects the perceived frequency of the light.

2. How does the Doppler effect spectrum help us understand a star's motion?

The Doppler effect spectrum allows us to measure a star's radial velocity, or the speed at which it is moving towards or away from Earth. By analyzing the shift in wavelengths, we can determine if a star is moving towards us (blue shift) or away from us (red shift) and at what speed.

3. How is the Doppler effect spectrum used to detect exoplanets?

The Doppler effect spectrum can also be used to detect exoplanets, or planets orbiting other stars. As a planet orbits its star, both the star and the planet move in a small circle around their common center of mass. This causes a periodic shift in the star's spectral lines, which can be detected and used to infer the presence of an orbiting planet.

4. Can the Doppler effect spectrum be used to determine the composition of a star?

Yes, the Doppler effect spectrum can provide valuable information about the composition of a star. By analyzing the spectral lines, scientists can determine the elements present in the star's atmosphere and their relative abundances. This can give insights into the star's age, temperature, and chemical evolution.

5. How is the Doppler effect spectrum affected by a star's rotation?

The Doppler effect spectrum can also be influenced by a star's rotation. If a star is rotating, the spectral lines on one side of the star will appear shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum, while the lines on the other side will be shifted towards the red end. This is known as rotational broadening and can provide information about a star's rotation rate and axis of rotation.