Doppler Effect aturla frequency

In summary, the Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a sound wave is perceived to change when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This effect can be observed in various natural occurrences, such as the changing pitch of a siren as it approaches or moves away from an observer. It is also used in applications such as radar technology and medical imaging to measure the speed and direction of moving objects. The perceived frequency shift is dependent on the relative speed of the source and observer, and can be calculated using the Doppler equation. Overall, the Doppler Effect is a fundamental concept in understanding how sound waves behave in relation to moving objects.
stunner5000pt
In class we were explained that if the source moves toward the stationary observer

[tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} [/tex]
where f0 is then aturla frequency of the wave, v is hte speed of the wave, and vs is the speed of the source

and [tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} [/tex]
where vrel is the speed of the observer

a)SHow that the result are thesame if the source and observer speed are much less than the wave speed

Now i can easilky say that [tex] v - v_{s} \neq 0 [/tex] and similarly [tex] v_{rel} + v \neq 0 [/tex] but is that really enough??

It is worth 5 marks in thsi assignment

b) FInd the difference between theclassical Doppler shift and the relativitistic Dopper shift up to the second order terms in (v/c)^2

now i know the relativistic expression is

[tex] f' = f_{0} \sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}} [/tex]

but how do i expand this. I do know how to expand [tex] \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex]
but in this case i can get v / v-c and c/v-c how would that work??

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
In class we were explained that if the source moves toward the stationary observer

where f0 is then aturla frequency of the wave, v is hte speed of the wave, and vs is the speed of the source

a)SHow that the result are thesame if the source and observer speed are much less than the wave speed

Now i can easilky say that [tex] v - v_{s} \neq 0 [/tex] and similarly [tex] v_{rel} + v \neq 0 [/tex] but is that really enough??

From your question it seems like you are trying to pove:
[tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} =f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{1-x} = 1 + x \ \ {When\ x\ll1}[/tex]
so we have
[tex] f' = f_{0} \frac{v}{v-v_{s}} = f_{0} \frac{1}{1-\frac{v_{s}}{v}} \cong f_{0} ( 1 + \frac{v_{s}}{v} ) = f_{0} \frac{v_{rel}+v}{v} =f_{0} (\frac{v_{rel}}{v}+1)[/tex]
Since [tex]v_{s} = v_{rel}[/tex]

stunner5000pt said:
b) FInd the difference between theclassical Doppler shift and the relativitistic Dopper shift up to the second order terms in (v/c)^2

hmm I would use the binomial Expansion. I am lazy and did not want to write out the binomial Expansion so here is a link:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/alg3.html

a)No...U should try to put the expressions in a way in which u can take the relevant limit [itex]v<<v_{s} [/itex]

b)Use this trick:
[tex] \frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}=1+\frac{2\beta}{1-\beta}=1+\frac{1}{something} [/tex]

and now to take out terms in \beta^{2} outta the square root...

Daniel.

stunner5000pt said:

Wouldn't be enough for me! Saying they are not 0 doesn't say anything about the relationship of v- vs and vr- v. What is the relationship between vs and vr?

What is &beta;? You should know how to expand [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] in a power series. Once you have expanded it in a power series, replace &beta; by its expression in v and c.

Related to Doppler Effect aturla frequency

What is the Doppler Effect at natural frequency?

The Doppler Effect at natural frequency refers to the change in frequency of a sound wave when the source and observer are moving towards or away from each other. This results in a perceived change in the pitch of the sound.

How does the Doppler Effect at natural frequency occur?

The Doppler Effect at natural frequency occurs because of the relative motion between the source of the sound wave and the observer. As the source and observer move closer together, the frequency of the sound waves increases, and as they move further apart, the frequency decreases.

What is the formula for calculating the Doppler Effect at natural frequency?

The formula for calculating the Doppler Effect at natural frequency is:

f' = f(v + u) / (v + us)

where f' is the perceived frequency, f is the actual frequency, v is the speed of sound, u is the velocity of the source, and s is the velocity of the observer.

What are the applications of the Doppler Effect at natural frequency?

The Doppler Effect at natural frequency has several practical applications, such as in radar and sonar systems, where it is used to measure the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound to detect and monitor blood flow.

Can the Doppler Effect at natural frequency occur with other types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect at natural frequency can occur with any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves like light. This is why objects like stars and galaxies appear to have a red or blue shift in their light, depending on their motion relative to Earth.