Dont Understand how to Figure out this columbs law question.

In summary, Um hello, I am new to this forum and still don't understand everything very well but i need some help. I've been doing revision over the new topic we've been learning in high school physics about electrical forces and fields and we've been spending most of the time doing questions about columbs law and I've encountered a few which i couldn't do because i have no idea where to start. The questions says Two point charges are placed on the x axis: one at 0cm with a -4uC and the other at 80cm with a +3uC charge. It asks where in the vicinity of these two charges can a +5uC charge be placed to experice no
Papak
Um hello, I am new to this forum and still don't understand everything very well but i need some help. I've been doing revision over the new topic we've been learning in high school physics about electrical forces and fields and we've been spending most of the time doing questions about columbs law and I've encountered a few which i couldn't do because i have no idea where to start.

The questions says Two point charges are placed on the x axis: one at 0cm with a -4uC and the other at 80cm with a +3uC charge. It asks where in the vicinity of these two charges can a +5uC charge be placed to experice no resultant force.

all id like to know is how to start it, i know that you need two equation, also i don't know which one to use a q1 q2 and q3 to actually set up any sort of equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric force on a charge Q is related to the electric field at the location of the charge by F=QE, right? So F is zero if and only if E = 0, right?

Additionally, the field in the viscinity of 2 charges is the sum of the field produced by each charge separately.

So, find an expression of the field produced by these two charges at each point (x,y,z) of space and solve algebraically for the point(s) (x,y,z) for which E=0.

Hint: At the point (x,y,z), the square of the distance from the negative charge is x²+y²+z² and the square of the distance from the positive charge is (x-0.80)²+y²+z²

(Are you sure you're not just looking for where on the x-axis you must put the charge? This problem seems to me to be just a notch too high in difficulty to be high school level.)

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the help, the book just asked for where on the x axis, but as soon as i posted it i went and tried to get a fresh look at is and i figured it out :smile: . But thank you anyway

Related to Dont Understand how to Figure out this columbs law question.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do I apply Coulomb's Law to a specific problem?

To apply Coulomb's Law to a specific problem, you need to know the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. Then, you can use the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric charge in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for electric charge in Coulomb's Law is Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a cross-section of a conductor in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to non-point charges as long as the distance between them is much larger than their size. In such cases, the charges can be treated as point charges for simplicity.

5. What are the limitations of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is only valid for stationary charges, and it does not take into account the effects of relativity. It also assumes that the charges are point-like and do not have any size. Furthermore, Coulomb's Law is only applicable to electrostatic forces and does not consider magnetic or gravitational forces.