Coloumbs law question (checking answer)

In summary, two small spherical objects with a distance of 2.5 x 10^-3 m between them acquire the same negative charge due to the addition of electrons, resulting in an electrostatic force of magnitude 5.75 x 10^-3 N. Using Coulomb's law and solving for the number of electrons, the result is 1.25 x 10^10 electrons.
romakarol

Homework Statement

Two spherical objects are separated by a distance of 2.5 x 10-3 m. The objects are initially electrically neutral and are very small compared to the distance between them. Each object acquires the same negative charge due to the addition of electrons. As a result each object experiences an electrostatic force that has a magnitude of 5.75 x 10-3 N. How many electrons did it take to produce the charge on one of the objects.

Homework Equations

F=(k)[(q1xq2)/r2] coloumbs law[/B]

F=electrostatic force
r=distance
k=8.99x10^9
q1/q1=charge on each object

The Attempt at a Solution

d=2.5x10^-3 metres (given)
F=5.75x10^-3 (given)
q1/q2=to be found
[/B]
I changed moved the formula to leave q1/q2 on one side, giving me:
r^2(F/k)=(q1)(q2)

with values plugged in it boiled down to:
4X10^-18=q1(q2)

Since q1 and q2 have the same charge, I figured it'd be fair to say
4x10^-18=q^2

therefore
q=square root of (4x10^-18)
q=0.000000002 Coloumbs

then converted coloumbs to number of electrons giving me and answer of:
1.25x10^10 electrons

This is my first attempt of a question on this semester and I'm doing them as I'm going over the lecture notes, did I get it right?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks good. One might quibble about the significant figures, since your given distance value has only two and you've specified your result to three, but otherwise you've done very well.

Likes romakarol

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force using Coulomb's law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, r is the distance between the charges in meters, and k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2).

3. What is the unit of measurement for charges in Coulomb's law?

The unit of measurement for charges in Coulomb's law is Coulombs (C). This is a unit of electric charge named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

4. Can Coulomb's law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will be attractive for opposite charges and repulsive for like charges.

5. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in the equation?

Coulomb's constant, also known as the electric constant, is a proportionality constant in the equation that relates the force to the charges and distance. It has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 and is an important factor in determining the strength of the electrostatic force between two charged particles.