Don't Study Physics? Get Answers Here!

In summary, the conversation discusses a controversial article written by Jonathan Katz in 1999 and its credibility and current relevance. It is mentioned that there have been numerous discussions on this topic in the past and it is advised not to start the debate again. Other articles with similar views are mentioned and it is suggested to apply science to the problem rather than getting into empty arguments. The conversation then shifts to the difficulty of obtaining a professorship in theoretical physics and the importance of attending a top university. Statistical data is suggested to support this claim and the conversation ends with a humorous comment about learning to knit as a possible job alternative.
Swatje
Hey,

I just read this text:

http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

And it kinda hit me like a stone... It was written in 1999. What is the credibility of this article and is it still applied today? And if so, is it USA only, or also applicable to Europe?

Greetings,

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not Again! I think we've decided that this guy isn't as accurate as people are afraid he is. This has been discussed SO MANY TIMES. Don't worry. Do what you want with your life, don't worry about what this guy says.

Yea.. do a search of the forums. Please don't start this discussion again; I don't think I could handle it!

G01 said:
Not Again! I think we've decided that this guy isn't as accurate as people are afraid he is. This has been discussed SO MANY TIMES. Don't worry. Do what you want with your life, don't worry about what this guy says.

Well, there is a similar article in the washington monthly that said the same thing.

Uh oh...

didnt we just go over this 2 weeks ago? i think it ended up as an 8 page debate

http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~katz/saddam.html

he sounds like another bush.

Jonathan Katz is absolutely right! I admire someone like him that has the guts to state the naked truth while everybody else is beating around the bush.

Let's apply science to the problem at hand instead of running into empty arguments. Has any of you made a statistics how many of the PhD graduates from your own university later become professors? Pay special attention how many in your chosen subfield become professors per year and in what universities they go? To get the data use 'Graduate programs in physics, astronomy and related fields'.

Or simply ask graduate studens that are finishing in a year what their plans are. Most of them are pretty aware of the situation.

The statistical data will show you it is much easier to get tenure in experimental physics than theory. The positions in theoretical physics are usually scarce and occupied from graduates from the top 5: Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford. These students have usually worked with well known advisers and to tell the truth they really are better educated simply because their environment was more demanding and their professors know more on average. Take the theoretists in your own department, where did they graduate from? If you have that golden chance to become a professor despite the fact you don't graduate from top 5, most probably you will end up in the university of Oklahoma or something like that. Think about the 'exciting' life you are going to have there lol

Sorry boys and girls, I know it's a cold shower but better know the truth.

Last edited:
smallphi:
Here is the thread discussing this article and here is a thread entitled "Don't do a PhD in Physics" in which this has all been discussed a couple of weeks ago. Take a read of those!

smallphi said:
If you have that golden chance to become a professor despite the fact you don't graduate from top 5, most probably you will end up in the university of Oklahoma or something like that. Think about the 'exciting' life you are going to have there lol

Yes, it does look http://www.nhn.ou.edu/ouresearch/".

ou is actually one of the leaders in supernova research, even if its in the middle of nowhere

Why do people assume that Johnathan Katz is telling the truth? Just because its depressing? The real truth lies somewhere in between.

Your not going to have a good chance to get a job if you don't look.

If you want to stay in your hometown of 81 people in the middle of the boondocks, you probably won't get a job.

If your field is of no use to anybody you'll have a hard time getting a job. (I'll let someone else make the connection to "you know what" Theory. I'm not going to :) )

If you spend your time sitting in your basement playing video games instead of making connections, your going to have a hard time finding a job.

If your grades suck, your going to have a hard time finding a job.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND:

If you are open to living in new places, you'll have an easier time finding a job,

If your in a field that has applications and other benefits to the human race, you'll have an easier time getting a job.

If you make connections, do research and meet others in your field, etc., you'll have an easier time getting a job.

If your a good student you'll have an easier time getting a job.

Now that that's said, please let the thread die and read the rest of the ones on the same topic. Unless someone directly responds to me I'm done prolonging the life of this thread.

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for not searching -_-.

G01 said:
If your field is of no use to anybody you'll have a hard time getting a job. (I'll let someone else make the connection to "you know what" Theory. I'm not going to :) )

:smile: you'd be better off learning to knit

Ki Man said:
:smile: you'd be better off learning to knit

And yes, I forgot... I guess that would be a possible job opportunity for the field in question:smile: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Related to Don't Study Physics? Get Answers Here!

1. Why should I not study physics?

There are many reasons why someone may choose not to study physics, including personal interests, career goals, and aptitude. It is important to carefully consider your strengths and passions before deciding on a specific field of study.

2. What are some alternative fields to physics?

Some common alternative fields to physics include biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, and computer science. However, there are many other options depending on your interests and career goals.

3. Will I have a limited career options if I don't study physics?

No, not studying physics does not necessarily limit your career options. There are many other fields of study that offer diverse career opportunities, and your success ultimately depends on your skills, experience, and dedication.

4. What skills can I develop by studying physics?

Studying physics can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and analytical skills. It also teaches you to think abstractly and logically, which can be applied to various fields and industries.

5. Is physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be challenging for some students due to its complex concepts and mathematical equations. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in physics. It also depends on the individual's interest and aptitude for the subject.