Don't know where to start when doing these proofs

• Thread starter jmn_153
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, every positive integer, ending in 5 creates a number that when squared ends in 25. n = k+5 and n = 5k don't always fail for the same k, but k = 3 is a case where k+5 works and 5k doesn't.
jmn_153
Can anyone please help me with this proof

Prove that every positive integer, ending in 5 creates a number that when squared ends in 25

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

If n is some number that ends in 5, write an equation for n that expresses this fact. If I wanted to say, for example, that n was square, I would write an equation like n = m². If I wanted to express that n was divisible by 14, I would write n = 14k. So what kind of thing should you write to express the fact that n ends in 5?

yea, Buit I'm not sure what the proper way to start it off is

Do you know any way to start it off?

Would it be n= k + 5

Or would it be n = 5k

Sometimes, one of the first things I do when I have a conjecture is to work out particular examples to see if my conjecture works in those examples.

For your two guesses, I should first ask what you mean by n and k. Next, have you tried particular values to see if it gives you what you want?

ok, thanks for your help I'll keep trying

Posts 6 and 7 are a good start, although one of them will be more useful. Also, in both cases, you'll have to say more about k. For example, if k = 2 then neither k+5 = 7 nor 5k = 10 ends in 5. Note that n = k+5 and n = 5k don't fail for the same k all the time, 2 just happens to be a case where they both fail. k = 3 on the other hand is a case where k+5 fails but 5k works (8 doesn't end in 5, but 15 does). In what cases does k+5 work, i.e. for what values of k? What about 5k? This should tell you what further things you have to say about k. And rather than just saying them about k, work those facts into your expression. For example, if k has to be a perfect cube for n = k+5 to work, then instead write n = k³ + 5, rather than saying, "n = k + 5, where k is a cube."

Related to Don't know where to start when doing these proofs

1. How can I improve my skills in proof writing?

To improve your skills in proof writing, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different types of proofs, such as direct, indirect, and contradiction proofs. Also, studying examples and understanding the underlying logic and structure of proofs can greatly enhance your skills.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working on proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working on proofs include not clearly stating your assumptions, not using correct logic and reasoning, and not providing enough detail or steps in your proof. It is also important to double check your work for any errors or inconsistencies.

3. How do I know which proof technique to use?

Choosing the right proof technique can be challenging, but it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem. Look for key words or phrases that indicate which proof technique to use, such as "if-then" statements for direct proofs or "assume the opposite" for contradiction proofs.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a proof?

If you get stuck on a proof, try approaching it from a different angle or taking a break and coming back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also consult with classmates or your instructor for guidance and clarification.

5. How can I check if my proof is correct?

To check if your proof is correct, you can follow your steps and logic to ensure they are sound and valid. You can also ask a classmate or your instructor to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, referencing examples or solutions can help you compare and verify your proof.