Don't Crush that Dwarf Planet, Hand me the Pliers

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter diogenesNY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand Planet
In summary, "Don't Crush that Dwarf Planet, Hand me the Pliers" is a popular phrase used to remember the names of the eight planets in our solar system. It was first introduced by science fiction author Larry Niven in his novel "Ringworld" and has since become a popular mnemonic device. The word "dwarf" refers to the classification of Pluto as a dwarf planet, acknowledging that it is no longer considered a full-fledged planet. Other popular mnemonics for remembering the planets include "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" and "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets". While it may not be essential knowledge, remembering the order of the planets can be helpful for understanding
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice article thanks for sharing.

Related to Don't Crush that Dwarf Planet, Hand me the Pliers

1. What is "Don't Crush that Dwarf Planet, Hand me the Pliers"?

"Don't Crush that Dwarf Planet, Hand me the Pliers" is a popular phrase used to remember the names of the eight planets in our solar system. The first letter of each word corresponds to the first letter of a planet's name in order: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

2. Why is this phrase used for remembering the planets?

This phrase was first introduced by the late science fiction author Larry Niven in his novel "Ringworld". It has since become a popular mnemonic device for remembering the planets in order.

3. What is the significance of the word "dwarf" in the phrase?

The word "dwarf" refers to the classification of the former ninth planet, Pluto, as a dwarf planet. This phrase acknowledges that fact and helps to remember that Pluto is no longer considered a full-fledged planet.

4. Are there any other popular mnemonics for remembering the planets?

Yes, there are several other popular mnemonics for remembering the planets, including "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" and "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets".

5. Is it important to remember the order of the planets?

While it may not be essential knowledge in everyday life, remembering the order of the planets can be helpful for understanding the layout of our solar system and the relationships between the planets. It also serves as a fun and memorable way to learn about the planets.