NYTimes: [Scientific] Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream....

• News
  • Thread starter diogenesNY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: The current residents of Hong Kong would be ASTOUNDED to hear this. The mainland Chinese meddle quite heavily in the affairs of HK.
diogenesNY
Of interest:

New York Times - October 13, 2017

Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream of Becoming a Science Superpower

By AMY QIN

BEIJING — Having conquered world markets and challenged American political and military leadership, China has set its sights on becoming a global powerhouse in a different field: scientific research.

Since 2012, the country has retracted more scientific papers because of faked peer reviews than all other countries and territories put together, according to Retraction Watch, a blog that tracks and seeks to publicize retractions of research papers.

...article continues:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/...candals.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

diogenesNY

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no surprise in that. I have a close friend who does a fair amount of business with academics in China (his wife is Chinese and translates for him) and he tells me that the goal is quantity of papers, not quality.

In the 1950's the USSR's planned economy set production goals for EVERYTHING and just as one result of that, shoe plants churned out cardboard shoes because there was no test for quality, just quantity. Plant managers, and workers, were rewarded for exceeding their quotas and people's shoes fell apart quickly.

Communism doesn't work all that well in practice, although to be fair, China today is doing WAY better than the USSR was doing back then.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
I see no surprise in that. I have a close friend who does a fair amount of business with academics in China (his wife is Chinese and translates for him) and he tells me that the goal is quantity of papers, not quality.

In the 1950's the USSR's planned economy set production goals for EVERYTHING and just as one result of that, shoe plants churned out cardboard shoes because there was no test for quality, just quantity. Plant managers, and workers, were rewarded for exceeding their quotas and people's shoes fell apart quickly.

Communism doesn't work all that well in practice, although to be fair, China today is doing WAY better than the USSR was doing back then.
I personally don't really think China is a communist country at all. They are just claiming that they are.

HAYAO said:
I personally don't really think China is a communist country at all. They are just claiming that they are.
They certainly are a mixed something. I agree that they are not much like the USSR of the 50's->80's

HAYAO said:
don't really think China is a communist country at all
Personality cults are personality cults; particularly when the personalities are dead/stuffed, Stalin/Lenin/Mao.

The main reason China is anything at all is Hong Kong. Look at the history of the Chinese economy and exports. There is Pre-HK and Post HK.

When the Chinese took over HK from the British at the end of the 99 year lease, they saw how well it worked and said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And that is how China got to be China of today.

matt621 said:
When the Chinese took over HK from the British at the end of the 99 year lease, they saw how well it worked and said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I think the current residents of Hong Kong would be ASTOUNDED to hear this. The mainland Chinese meddle quite heavily in the affairs of HK. I think you don't keep up with the news.

My point is from the perspective of the Chinese Govt, not the HK residents. They found the golden goose and all they did was changed who owned the goose not how the goose did it's work.

Related to NYTimes: [Scientific] Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream....

1. What is the main focus of the NYTimes article on scientific fraud scandals in China?

The main focus of the article is to shed light on the increasing number of scientific fraud cases in China and how it is affecting the country's reputation and progress in the field of science.

2. How prevalent are scientific fraud scandals in China?

According to the article, scientific fraud scandals are becoming increasingly common in China, with a significant number of high-profile cases being reported in recent years.

3. What are some of the consequences of these fraud scandals?

The consequences of these fraud scandals are damaging not only to the reputation of the individuals involved but also to the country's scientific community as a whole. It can lead to a lack of trust in Chinese research and hinder collaborations with other countries.

4. What are some factors contributing to the rise of scientific fraud in China?

The article mentions several factors such as pressure to publish, a lack of oversight and regulations, and the promotion of quantity over quality in scientific research. Additionally, the highly competitive nature of the field and the desire for recognition and funding may also contribute to the rise of scientific fraud.

5. What steps are being taken to address this issue?

The Chinese government has implemented measures such as stricter regulations and penalties for scientific fraud. Some universities and research institutions are also implementing integrity training programs for their staff. However, there is still a long way to go in addressing this issue and restoring trust in Chinese scientific research.

Back