Doing proofs using the basic properties of numbers, problems

In summary, to prove the given inequality, one must first define square roots, division, and the number 2 in order to use Spivak's 12 properties of numbers. The square root of a positive number is defined as the unique positive number whose square is the given number. Division is defined as multiplying by the inverse, and the number 2 is defined as 1+1. Once these definitions are accepted, the inequality can be broken up into parts and proved using algebra and the given assumptions.
gothloli

Homework Statement

Prove that if 0 < a < b,
then a < √ab < (a + b)/2 < b

Homework Equations

To prove this use the 12 properties of numbers (commutativity, trichotomy law, associativity, etc...).

The Attempt at a Solution

The main problem is I don't know if I need to define the square root function since I'm doing a proof. I'm new to all this, this is my first time doing analysis, so bear with me.
I assume you break up the inequality into parts, since a<b is already defined, we don't need to prove the whole inequality. So I did the first part, unintutively

a<√ab
a^2 < (ab)
(a)(a) (a^-1) < (ab)(a^-1)
a<b which was assumed thus the inequality is proven

Also
(a + b)/2 < b
(a +b)(2^-1) (2) < b(2)
a < b

Problem is I don't know what to write division of 2 as, since it's not listed in basic property. Also I don't know how to prove the 2 centre terms of the inequality: √ab < (a + b)/2

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a Spivak problem, am I right? Your concerns are completely justified, you need to define square roots and division (and even the number 2) before you can do this problem. Spivak doesn't do this (he does it in a later chapter though). I think Spivak wants this to be a challenging exercise using the math intuition you already have, rather than an exercise in proving things from the 12 axioms. He does this kind of thing quite a lot in the first chapters of the book. For example, in chapter 1 he uses things like [itex]4^x[/itex] in the exercises, which is also not defined. In short: you got to take things on faith in the first few chapters of the book, they will be rigorized later.

Anyway, let me define the terms for you:
  • If [itex]c\geq 0[/itex], then we define [itex]\sqrt{c}[/itex] as the unique positive number whose square in c. So, it is a number such that [itex]\sqrt{c}\geq 0[/itex] and [itex](\sqrt{c})^2=c[/itex]. Again, you need to take on faith that such a number actually exists and that is not unique. This is serious because it cannot follow from the first 12 axioms (indeed, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] does not exist in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex], but [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] satisfies all axioms). We need another axiom to ensure existence of square roots. Spivak introduces this axiom later in his book. Just take on faith now that the square root exists.
  • The number 2 is just defined as 1+1. There is no problem here.
  • Division is defined as multiplying with the inverse. So [itex]a/b[/itex] is defined as [itex]ab^{-1}[/itex] (as long as b is nonzero). So [itex](a+b)/2[/itex] is defined as [itex](a+b)*2^{-1}[/itex]. There is no problem here since it follow from the twelve axioms that every nonzero number has a unique inverse. We do need to check that 2 is nonzero.

I hope this helps.

micromass said:
This is a Spivak problem, am I right? Your concerns are completely justified, you need to define square roots and division (and even the number 2) before you can do this problem. Spivak doesn't do this (he does it in a later chapter though). I think Spivak wants this to be a challenging exercise using the math intuition you already have, rather than an exercise in proving things from the 12 axioms. He does this kind of thing quite a lot in the first chapters of the book. For example, in chapter 1 he uses things like [itex]4^x[/itex] in the exercises, which is also not defined. In short: you got to take things on faith in the first few chapters of the book, they will be rigorized later.

Anyway, let me define the terms for you:
  • If [itex]c\geq 0[/itex], then we define [itex]\sqrt{c}[/itex] as the unique positive number whose square in c. So, it is a number such that [itex]\sqrt{c}\geq 0[/itex] and [itex](\sqrt{c})^2=c[/itex]. Again, you need to take on faith that such a number actually exists and that is not unique. This is serious because it cannot follow from the first 12 axioms (indeed, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] does not exist in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex], but [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] satisfies all axioms). We need another axiom to ensure existence of square roots. Spivak introduces this axiom later in his book. Just take on faith now that the square root exists.
  • The number 2 is just defined as 1+1. There is no problem here.
  • Division is defined as multiplying with the inverse. So [itex]a/b[/itex] is defined as [itex]ab^{-1}[/itex] (as long as b is nonzero). So [itex](a+b)/2[/itex] is defined as [itex](a+b)*2^{-1}[/itex]. There is no problem here since it follow from the twelve axioms that every nonzero number has a unique inverse. We do need to check that 2 is nonzero.

I hope this helps.

Yes thankyou that clarifies alot! And you it is a Spivak problem. But I'm still confused for the second part where I have to prove √ab < (a + b)/2, or am I supposed to figure it out myself ;). Basically what I mean is am I allowed to square both sides, since i didn't read on about square roots in the book. I know I'm an idiot. :shy:

gothloli said:
Yes thankyou that clarifies alot! And you it is a Spivak problem. But I'm still confused for the second part where I have to prove √ab < (a + b)/2, or am I supposed to figure it out myself ;). Basically what I mean is am I allowed to square both sides, since i didn't read on about square roots in the book. I know I'm an idiot. :shy:

If, as micromass says, you don't have to worry about axioms, then sure, just square both sides and use algebra. I don't know that you are an idiot. You'll have to prove it :).

Yeah, you should square both sides. You should be able to prove why [itex]0\leq a\leq b[/itex] implies [itex]a^2\leq b^2[/itex] using the 12 axioms.

The only thing you need to accept is [itex]\sqrt{ab}\geq 0[/itex] and [itex](\sqrt{ab})^2=ab[/itex] (and that such number actually exists and is unique).

okay thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Related to Doing proofs using the basic properties of numbers, problems

1. How do I know which basic properties of numbers to use in a proof?

The basic properties of numbers include the commutative, associative, distributive, additive and multiplicative identities, and inverses. To determine which properties to use in a proof, carefully examine the given problem and look for any patterns or relationships between the numbers. Choose the properties that best support your argument and can help you arrive at the desired conclusion.

2. Can I use more than one basic property of numbers in a single proof?

Yes, it is common to use multiple basic properties of numbers in a single proof. In fact, combining different properties can often make a proof more concise and efficient. Just make sure to clearly state which properties you are using and how they support your reasoning.

3. How do I start a proof using the basic properties of numbers?

The first step in any proof is to clearly state the given information and the desired conclusion. Next, identify any relevant basic properties of numbers that can help you connect the given information to the desired conclusion. Then, use logical reasoning to string together these properties and arrive at the conclusion.

4. Do I need to prove each basic property of numbers before using them in a proof?

No, it is not necessary to prove each basic property of numbers before using them in a proof. These properties are accepted as true and can be used as building blocks in mathematical arguments. However, it is important to understand the logic behind these properties and how they relate to each other.

5. Can I use basic properties of numbers in other branches of mathematics, such as geometry or algebra?

Yes, basic properties of numbers are fundamental principles that can be applied in various branches of mathematics. For example, the commutative and associative properties can be used in algebraic equations, while the distributive property can be applied in geometric proofs. By understanding these properties, you can strengthen your problem-solving skills in different areas of mathematics.