Does voltage affect the current in the Franck-Hertz experiment?

In summary, the Franck-Hertz experiment involves accelerating electrons with varying voltage and observing the resulting current and energy levels. At 4.9 volts, the electrons experience a non-elastic collision and the current drops. At 6 volts, there is no non-elastic collision and the energy is higher than the measured value at 4.9 volts. The experiment can be done at discrete voltage values and the results are independent of each other. The purpose of the experiment is to show that electrons will lose a fixed amount of energy when colliding with mercury atoms, regardless of their initial kinetic energy.
ghaleb hamdan
I have a question that might be very basic.
The Franck-Hertz experiment shows that as the voltage (KE of the electrons) increase, the current/energy of the electron increases up to 4.9v at which point it drops due to the non elastic collision. this happens at intervals of 4.9v. assume that the current at 6v was measured to be X
Assume there is no increase in voltage and the voltage was set at 6v from the get go. Would the current be the X (the same as increasing it slowly)? At 6v it would be an elastic collision, and since there wasn't any non elastic collision, i would suspect the energy would be higher than X

Physics news on Phys.org
ghaleb hamdan said:
Would the current be the X (the same as increasing it slowly)?
Yes. I don't know how the Franck-Hertz experiment was done originally, but you can take the result at any voltage to be independent of the result at any other voltage. These kind of experiments are often done not continuously, but performed for discrete values of the adjustable parameters.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply
If the energy is lost in a non elastic collision when the voltage is 4.9voltage, then i see how the energy at 6v would be reduced once the voltage is increases. But how will the energy be lost if we never pass through the 4.9v? is it cause the KE will have to increase and pass through the 4.9v equivalent energy prior to getting to the 6v?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. The electric potential is there to accelerate the electrons. As you said so yourself in the OP, what is relevant here is the kinetic energy of the electrons. For a given value of the KE, you get a certain current, and the greater the KE, the greater the current.

What the Franck-Hertz experiment shows is that the electrons will lose only a fixed amount of energy when they collide with mercury atoms.

Sorry let me rephrase my question in a better manner
if the electrons are accelerated (maybe in a vacuum?) to a KE are between the first and second "threshold" (KE required for the electrons to lose energy in the collision with the mercury atoms) prior to allowing them to enter the mercury vapor environment, will they lose energy in the collision with the atoms or do they need to be firstly accelerated to the second threshold?

As soon as the potential reaches 4.9 V, the electrons gain sufficient KE to be able to excite a Hg atom when colliding with it. Between the first and second threshold, electrons have sufficient KE to excite the Hg and have KE left after the collision.

Likes ghaleb hamdan
That's exactly what I needed to know
Thanks!

Related to Does voltage affect the current in the Franck-Hertz experiment?

1. What is the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

The Franck-Hertz Experiment is an experiment in atomic physics that was first performed by James Franck and Gustav Hertz in 1914. It was designed to demonstrate the quantization of energy levels in atoms.

2. How does the Franck-Hertz Experiment work?

The experiment involves bombarding atoms with electrons and measuring the energy of the electrons before and after they interact with the atoms. This allows researchers to observe how the energy of the electrons is affected by the energy levels in the atoms.

3. What is the significance of the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

The Franck-Hertz Experiment provided evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms, which was a key concept in the development of quantum mechanics. It also helped to confirm the Bohr model of the atom.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

The Franck-Hertz Experiment has been used to study the energy levels of various atoms, which has helped to improve our understanding of atomic structure. It has also been used in the development of electronic devices, such as transistors and vacuum tubes.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Franck-Hertz Experiment?

One limitation of the Franck-Hertz Experiment is that it only applies to atoms in a gaseous state. It also does not account for the effects of external factors, such as temperature and pressure, on the energy levels of atoms. Additionally, some scientists have criticized the experiment for not fully explaining the behavior of electrons in atoms.