Does Throwing Distance Equal Arm Strength in Football?

• Thread starter Tizz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about two friends debating over the strength and velocity of their throwing arms while playing football. One friend believes that the other has a stronger arm because his throws are harder and more difficult to catch. They decide to have a contest to see who can throw the ball the farthest, and both throws end up going 62 yards. However, there is a missing factor in the equation as the maximum distance does not necessarily mean they were both using their maximum throw velocity. The angle and situation of the throw can also affect the velocity needed.
Tizz
I'm having a debate with a friend over this concerning throwing a football.

I have two friends. We went out to throw catch some passes. They are both QBs. On like a 20 yard out route, Guy A hums that ball in there and I can hardly catch it, the velocity is so aggressive it hurts my hands. Guy B its not like that, its a softer throw with a bit of wobble and I have no trouble catching it. I told Guy B that Guy A has a much stronger arm than him and he disagreed, so he said let's have a contest to see who can throw the ball the FARTHEST. They both threw the ball 62 yards in the air. We measured it. That was their maximum distance.

Guy B thinks he proved his point that his arm is equally as strong as Guy A, but I said then Guy A has much more velocity, and he said that isn't possible because in order to throw the same maximum distance that means they have the same velocity. What do you guys think? Is there something in this equation we are missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
If both throws went the same distance they had the same velocity.

this is not true. they might have thrown it at different angles.

also has nothing to do with how "strong" you are.

What's missing is the fact that you are describing two entirely different time-line scenarios.
That is, just because the two QB's can maximally throw the football the same distance(2nd scenario) does not mean that they were both using their maximum throw velocity in the first scenario, as maximum distance was not a requirement in the first scenario, rather, you catching the ball.

I hope that made sense.
If you are 20 yards out, and there is no defense around you at all, there is no need to "bullet" the football to you. In fact, you might not be able to hold onto the catch.
On the other hand, if you are 20 yards out and surrounded by defense, there IS certainly a need to "bullet" the ball.

Related to Does Throwing Distance Equal Arm Strength in Football?

1. How does the force applied affect the distance a football is thrown?

The force applied to a football is directly proportional to the distance it is thrown. This means that the more force that is applied, the farther the football will travel.

2. What role does air resistance play in throwing a football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect the distance a football is thrown. The shape and texture of the football can impact the amount of drag it experiences, which can either increase or decrease the distance it travels.

3. How does the angle at which the football is thrown affect its trajectory?

The angle at which a football is thrown has a significant impact on its trajectory. A lower angle will result in a shorter, more direct throw, while a higher angle will result in a longer, more arced throw. The optimal angle for maximum distance is typically around 45 degrees.

4. What is the difference between throwing a spiral and a non-spiral football?

Throwing a spiral football refers to the rotation of the ball around its axis, creating a more stable and accurate throw. A non-spiral throw lacks this rotation and can be less accurate. Throwing a spiral also helps to reduce air resistance and increase the distance the football travels.

5. How does the weight of the football affect its throw?

The weight of a football can affect the distance it is thrown. A heavier football will require more force to throw, but it may also be less affected by air resistance. A lighter football may be easier to throw, but it may also be more affected by air resistance, resulting in a shorter throw.