Find max distance of football thrown while running.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the maximum distance a baseball player can throw a ball while running towards their teammate who catches the ball at the same height. The relevant equations for this type of motion were discussed, and the player's velocity was decomposed into horizontal and vertical components. The next step would be to build an expression for the distance thrown in terms of known variables, with the condition for maximum distance being that the derivative of the expression is zero. A drawing was also mentioned as a helpful tool for solving the problem.
connor67

Homework Statement

A baseball player always throws a fastball at a speed of 40.26 m/s. What is the maximum distance, in meter, this player can throw the ball while running toward his teammate who catches the baseball at the same height as he throws at, assuming that this player runs at a speed of 5.51 m/s?

2. relevant equations
y = yi +Vyi*t-(g*t^2)/2
x = xi +Vxi*t
i think t = (2Vi*sin(theta))/g

3. attempt
i do not know how to find the angle for max distance. i believe the x component for velocity is 5.51+(40.26)cos(theta). the y would be (40.26)sin(theta). Would i turn it into <5.51+(40.26)cos(theta) i, (40.26)sin(theta) j> or what would i do from here? if this is wrong please let me know. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Connor, :welcome: (2)

Please don't delete (parts of) the template; see the guidelines for the why.

Homework Equations

you need some equations here for this kind of motion. What do you have ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far you have decomposed the ball velocity in horizontal and vertical component. Looks good.
Now what ?

And: did you make a drawing ?

i have made a drawing but i am confused on the next step.

You want to build up an expression for the distance thrown, in terms of 'known' variables: an expression in symbols, preferably with ##t## eliminated. A condition for maximum distance is that the derivative of that expression wrt e.g. ##\theta## is zero.

Related to Find max distance of football thrown while running.

1. How do you measure the distance of a football thrown while running?

The distance of a football thrown while running can be measured using a measuring tape or a laser distance measuring tool. The starting point should be where the ball is thrown from and the ending point should be where the ball lands.

2. What factors affect the maximum distance of a football thrown while running?

The maximum distance of a football thrown while running can be affected by factors such as the strength and technique of the thrower, the weight and shape of the football, the wind speed and direction, and the surface and conditions of the playing field.

3. Is the maximum distance of a football thrown while running the same for everyone?

No, the maximum distance of a football thrown while running can vary from person to person. It depends on individual physical abilities, technique, and other factors such as the ones mentioned above.

4. Can the maximum distance of a football thrown while running be improved?

Yes, with practice and proper training, the maximum distance of a football thrown while running can be improved. This includes working on strength, technique, and overall physical fitness.

5. How is the maximum distance of a football thrown while running useful in sports?

The maximum distance of a football thrown while running is useful in sports such as football, where the distance of a throw can determine the success of a play. It can also be used to track and compare the performance of players and teams.