Does the smell of alcohols increase as molar mass increases?

In summary, the pungent smell of alcohols can vary depending on their molar mass and how well they fit into receptors in the nose. As the molar mass increases, the vapor pressure decreases, leading to potentially stronger intermolecular attraction. However, the specific smell of each alcohol may also be influenced by the receptors in the nose and their interactions with the molecule. In personal experiences, shorter alcohols tend to have a more solvent-like smell, while longer alcohols may have a sweeter scent.
maturk
Hello, I was just thinking about the pungent smell of alcohols and if they increase as the molar mass of the alcohol increases. For example, if I were to have samples of methanol, ethanol, propan-1-ol, butan-1-ol, and pentan-1-ol all at room temperature, would the alcohol's with the highest molar mass smell more "strongly" than the ones with lower molar masses. Or would it be the other way around?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
maturk said:
Hello, I was just thinking about the pungent smell of alcohols and if they increase as the molar mass of the alcohol increases. For example, if I were to have samples of methanol, ethanol, propan-1-ol, butan-1-ol, and pentan-1-ol all at room temperature, would the alcohol's with the highest molar mass smell more "strongly" than the ones with lower molar masses. Or would it be the other way around?

You would be having multiple things going on at the same time. As MW goes up, the vapor pressure goes down (due to increased intermolecular attraction). The "smell" will have to do with how the alcohol fits into the receptors in your nose. I believe that the current thinking is that these are activated by how well the molecule fits into the receptor. This "fit" might be different in the different receptors for the different alcohols. Certainly, you will have more non-specific interactions as the molecules increase in size.

In my own experience, the different alcohols have very different smells. n-Butanol and n-Pentanol smell very "sweet" to me, while the shorter alcohols smell more solvent-ey (not sure what word describes the smell of methanol and ethanol.)

Likes maturk

1. Does the smell of alcohols increase as molar mass increases?

Yes, in general, the smell of alcohols does increase as molar mass increases. This is because larger molecules have more complex and stronger molecular structures, resulting in a more noticeable scent.

2. How does the molar mass affect the smell of alcohols?

The molar mass of an alcohol directly correlates with its molecular weight and size. As the molar mass increases, so does the size and complexity of the molecule, leading to a stronger and more distinct smell.

3. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between molar mass and smell of alcohols?

Yes, there are some exceptions. For example, certain alcohols with strong odors, such as methanol and ethanol, may have a lower molar mass compared to some alcohols with weaker smells, such as octanol. This is because other factors, such as functional groups and bonding patterns, can also influence the smell of alcohols.

4. Is there a specific molar mass threshold for alcohols to have a noticeable smell?

No, there is no specific molar mass threshold for alcohols to have a noticeable smell. The strength and intensity of the smell can vary depending on the type of alcohol and its molecular structure.

5. Can other factors besides molar mass affect the smell of alcohols?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the smell of alcohols. These include functional groups, bonding patterns, and the presence of impurities. The concentration and temperature of the alcohol can also play a role in its perceived smell.