Temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass

In summary, the conversation discussed the expected increase in temperature when adding a specific amount of gas to a fixed insulated volume at a certain pressure and temperature. It was mentioned that adiabatic compression cannot be used in this scenario and the ideal gas equation would not work due to unknown variables. The conversation also touched on the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics.
david316
Hello,

I'm interested to know if that in a fixed insulated volume (e.g. 500ml), at some temperature (e.g. 293K) and pressure (e.g. 1 atmosphere), and you increase the pressure by a specific amount by pumping more gas (e.g. air at 293K) into the volume can you work out the expected increase in temperature. As far as I can tell, you can't use adiabatic compression as you are adding mass to the system. The ideal gas equation won't work because the final number of moles and temperature are unknown. Is there are way to solve this?

Thanks a lot

Science news on Phys.org
If you add "a specific amount" of additional gas, then isn't the final number of moles known?

Sorry, its not worded very well. I increased the the pressure by a specific amount (e.g. 20 cmH2O) not the number of moles. I don't know how a increase in pressure translates to a number of moles as the temperature can change as well.

david316 said:
Sorry, its not worded very well. I increased the the pressure by a specific amount (e.g. 20 cmH2O) not the number of moles. I don't know how a increase in pressure translates to a number of moles as the temperature can change as well.
Are you familiar with the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics?

Chet

I am now. Thanks.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass

1. What is the relationship between temperature and mass in a fixed volume?

The relationship between temperature and mass in a fixed volume is known as thermal expansion. When additional mass is added to a fixed volume, the temperature will increase due to the increased number of particles and their increased kinetic energy.

2. How does the type of material affect the temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass?

The type of material does affect the temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass. Different materials have different thermal expansion coefficients, which determine how much the material will expand or contract based on changes in temperature. Materials with higher coefficients will experience a larger temperature increase when adding mass.

3. Is the temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass always proportional?

No, the temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass is not always proportional. This relationship is affected by the specific heat capacity of the material, which is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of the material by one degree. Materials with lower specific heat capacities will experience a larger temperature increase when adding mass.

4. How does temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass differ in gases, liquids, and solids?

The temperature increase in a fixed volume when adding mass differs in gases, liquids, and solids due to their different molecular structures. Gases have more space between molecules, so they will experience a larger temperature increase when adding mass. Liquids have less space between molecules, and solids have the least amount of space, resulting in a smaller temperature increase when adding mass.

5. What factors other than mass can affect the temperature increase in a fixed volume?

In addition to mass, other factors that can affect the temperature increase in a fixed volume include the initial temperature of the volume, the specific heat capacity of the material, and the thermal conductivity of the material. These factors can impact how much the temperature will increase when adding mass, and must be taken into consideration in any temperature-related experiments or calculations.