Does the series with terms n/e^n converge or diverge

In summary, the given series does not converge as determined by using the ratio test. As n approaches infinity, the limit of (n+1)/e increases, indicating that the series diverges.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Does this series converge or diverge? infinity[tex]\Sigma[/tex]n=1 (n!/e^n)

Homework Equations

The ratio test.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim n--> infinity ((e^n)(n+1)!)/(e^(n+1))

I don't know what to do from here...

Physics news on Phys.org

You're missing the n!. Set up the ratio of a_(n+1)/a_n, simplify it, then take the limit.

This is what I have:

lim n-->infinity [(n+1)!/(e^(n+1))][(e^n)(n!)]
lim n-->infinity [(n+1)/(e)]

Did I simplify right? And do I just plug in infinity now?

Yes, that's simplified correctly. No, you don't actually plug in infinity, but as n gets larger and larger, what happens to (n + 1)/e?

It also gets larger. Which means that the series diverges.

Yes and yes. Using the ratio test, you found that lim a_(n + 1)/a_n is infinity, and so the ratio test tells us this series diverges.

Yay! Thank you!

Related to Does the series with terms n/e^n converge or diverge

1. What is the formula for the series with terms n/e^n?

The formula for this series is ∑n/e^n, where n is the index and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. What does it mean for a series to converge or diverge?

A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. It is said to diverge if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

3. How can I determine if a series with terms n/e^n converges or diverge?

To determine if a series with terms n/e^n converges or diverges, you can use the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the ratio or the limit of the nth root of the terms is less than 1, then the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, then the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

4. What is the significance of the number e in this series?

The number e is a mathematical constant that is the base of the natural logarithm. It is approximately equal to 2.71828 and is often used in exponential functions and growth patterns. In this series, the number e is used as the base for the terms, which allows us to determine if the series converges or diverges.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this series?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this series. For example, it can be used to model the growth of bacteria or other populations that follow an exponential growth pattern. It can also be used in finance to calculate compound interest or in physics to describe the decay of radioactive materials. Understanding the convergence or divergence of this series can help us make predictions and analyze data in various fields.