Does the Series Sum of (-2)^n / 3^(n+1) from 0 to Infinity Diverge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series (-2)^n/3^(n+1). It is determined that the series actually converges, despite the answer key stating otherwise. The concept of geometric series is brought up and it is mentioned that the sequence (-2)^n/3^(n+1) also converges to 0 with |r|<1.
frasifrasi
can anyone explain why the summation from 0 to infinity of

(-2)^(n)/3^(n+1) diverges?

- Is it simply because the terms bounce between - and +?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you wrote it correct? Because the series

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-2)^n}{3^{n+1}} [/tex]

does converge...

I have in the answer that it diverges...could you explain how you arrived at that?

frasifrasi said:
I have in the answer that it diverges...could you explain how you arrived at that?

It's (1/3)*(-2/3)^n. It's a geometric series. You can even sum it.

I see the light! I guess the answer key was wrong. But hey,

What if had the SEQUENCE (-2)^(n)/3^(n+1) , how could I show that it converges to 0?

could I also "simplify" it to (1/3)*(-2/3)^n and say that since r > -1, it converges to 0?

(by the fact that for a sequence r^n , the sequence converges for -1 < r <= 1)

If you mean |r|<1, then yes, the sequence converges to zero.

Related to Does the Series Sum of (-2)^n / 3^(n+1) from 0 to Infinity Diverge?

1. What is lightning?

Lightning is a sudden discharge of electricity from the atmosphere to the ground, typically accompanied by thunder and a bright flash of light.

2. How is lightning formed?

Lightning is formed when positive and negative charges within a thunderstorm cloud separate, creating an electric field. When this electric field becomes too strong, it causes a rapid discharge of electricity, which we see as lightning.

3. What are the different types of lightning?

The most common types of lightning are cloud-to-ground, intra-cloud, and cloud-to-cloud lightning. Other types include ribbon lightning, bead lightning, and ball lightning.

4. Is lightning dangerous?

Yes, lightning is extremely dangerous. It can reach temperatures of up to 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit and can cause significant damage to structures and harm to living beings. It is important to take precautions during thunderstorms to stay safe from lightning strikes.

5. How can we protect ourselves from lightning?

To protect yourself from lightning, it is important to seek shelter indoors or in a car when a thunderstorm is approaching. Avoid tall objects and open areas, and stay away from water during a thunderstorm. If you are caught outside with no shelter, crouch down low on the ground, but do not lie down.