Does the series sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3)) converge or diverge?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining if the series sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3)) converges or diverges. The limit comparison test is applied with 1/k^2, and it is concluded that the series must converge. However, when plugged into Wolfram Alpha, it gives a different answer. The conclusion is that Wolfram Alpha is not always reliable and should not be blindly trusted.
GreenPrint
This is a similar question that I have to the other one that I posted.

Determine if the following series converges or diverges.

sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3))

I applied the limit comparison test with 1/k^2
also k(k+3))=k^2+3k

lim k->inf [ 3/(k^2+3k) ]/[ 1/k^2 ] = lim k->inf (3k^2/(k^2+3k) =H 3

because sum[k=1,inf] 1/k^2 is a convergent p-series than sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3)) must also converge by the limit comparison test.

I plugged this into wolfram alpha
sum[n=1,inf] of 3/(k(k+3))
and it said that the sum does not converge by the limit comparison test. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never trust Wolfram Alpha. Reagan said "trust but verify". Plug this into WA. "sum 3/(k*(k+3)) for k from 1 to infinity". You managed to confuse the poor thing somehow. Probably the [n=1,inf] part again.

Last edited:
GreenPrint said:
This is a similar question that I have to the other one that I posted.

Determine if the following series converges or diverges.

sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3))

I applied the limit comparison test with 1/k^2
also k(k+3))=k^2+3k

lim k->inf [ 3/(k^2+3k) ]/[ 1/k^2 ] = lim k->inf (3k^2/(k^2+3k) =H 3

because sum[k=1,inf] 1/k^2 is a convergent p-series than sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3)) must also converge by the limit comparison test.

I plugged this into wolfram alpha
sum[n=1,inf] of 3/(k(k+3))
and it said that the sum does not converge by the limit comparison test. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Wolfram Alpha keeps giving you wrong answers (on this and some other problems). What would you conclude from that?

RGV

Dick said:
Never trust Wolfram Alpha. Reagan said "trust but verify". Plug this into WA. "sum 3/(k*(k+3)) for k from 1 to infinity". You managed to confuse the poor thing somehow. Probably the [n=1,inf] part again.

Oh I screwed up the indexes. Entering that actually gives me the right answer. Thanks. You can conclude that woflram alpha isn't the be all end all super calculator.

Related to Does the series sum[k=1,inf] 3/(k(k+3)) converge or diverge?

1. What is an infinite series in calculus?

An infinite series in calculus is a sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is determined by a specific pattern or rule. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to model real-world phenomena, such as continuously changing quantities.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one whose sum approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series approaches a specific value. On the other hand, a divergent series is one whose sum either does not approach any finite limit or approaches infinity as the number of terms increases.

3. How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are various tests used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will converge or diverge.

4. What is the purpose of finding the sum of an infinite series?

Finding the sum of an infinite series is useful in many applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations, especially when dealing with continuously changing quantities or quantities that are too large or small to be measured directly.

5. Can an infinite series have a negative sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a negative sum. The sum of an infinite series is simply the result of adding all the terms together, regardless of whether they are positive or negative. Therefore, it is possible to have a negative sum if the terms in the series are alternating between positive and negative values.