Does the Series 1/(n * Log(n)) Converge Using the Cauchy Condensation Test?

In summary: I am having some trouble with this one, but I am going to give it another try.In summary, the series 1/(n * Log(n)) converges iff 2^n*(1/[Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)] converges.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

I need to determine, using the Cauchy Condensation Test, whether or not
the series 1/(n * Log(n)) converges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that this series converges iff 2^n(1/(2^n*Log(2^n)) converges (Cauchy Condensation Test). I believe the series actually diverges, but I am not sure how to work through it. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying those new terms that you got.

Basically not hard at all, if you know that [tex] 1/n [/tex] diverges.
use log rules. and eliminate doubles in nominator and denominator.

Also can be checked that it diverges by the Integral Test.

Good luck.

Thank you so much!

I have another one for you tarheelborn ! :)

"determine, using the Cauchy Condensation Test, whether or not
the series 1/[Log(n)^Log(n)] converges."

If you like you can try any other test !

*In Israel we never use Log(n) when we intend to say Ln(n) (as in Log in the natural base e), and in American literature they always get me confused with Log/Ln.
just a curiosity :)

My professor used Log although he said that here is means Ln; I don't know quite why. I was accustomed to using Ln, too, in previous classes.

Meanwhile, to your problem... So 1/[Log(n)^Log(n)] converges iff 2^n*(1/[Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)] converges.

2^n*(1/[Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)] = 2^n/[Log(2^n)*Log(2^n)]
= 2^n/[n log(2) * n log(2)]
= 2 log(2) * Sum [2^n/n^2]
= 2 log(2) * Sum [1/n^2] which converges so
1/[Log(n)^Log(n)] converges.

Thanks for the challenge!

Very good try !

but there is a little problem :)

"2^n*(1/[Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)] = 2^n/[Log(2^n)*Log(2^n)]"

you changed "Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)" to "Log(2^n)*Log(2^n)" so you basically did
ln(x)^a = a*ln(x), which isn't true..
ln(x^a) = a*ln(x) : this one is OK :)
have another try!

Ok, here is my next attempt:

2^n*(1/[Log(2^n)^Log(2^n)] = 2^n/[n*Log(2)^(n*Log(2))]. Now 2^n goes to 1.
Log(2) is constant, so we are basically left with 1/n^n which is a quickly increasing version of 1/n which does not converge.

I am not sure if I can make those assumptions, but I don't know how else to deal with the Log. Again, thanks for the challenge; it is fun.

You have to use the cauchy's test?
If not: For an easier life, use the integral test.

Another good try :)

Basically right, but 2^n does not go to 1, but you right that it grows much slower then n^n, so n^n is the dominate expression.

When you simplify the expression you get:

2^n / [n^(n*ln(2))*ln(2)^(n*ln(2))]

Which you can test by Cauchy's n'th Root Test to be convergent:

2 / [n^(ln(2))*ln(2)^(ln(2))] < 1

Another way altogether is to say that after some n: (e^2) is smaller then (ln(n)) :

1/[ln(n)^ln(n)] < 1/[(e^2)^ln(n)] = 1/[(e^(2*ln(n))] = 1/[(e^(ln(n^2))] = 1/[n^2] !
1/[n^2] is convergent. so the original expression is also convergent thorough direct comparison test :)

*Know your logarithmic rules ! :)

Nevermind, Good Luck to you !

I do need to know the logarithmic rules more thoroughly! Sometimes I wonder if I will ever know all the rules and be able to remember them as needed. Practice, practice!

Thank you for this challenge.

Related to Does the Series 1/(n * Log(n)) Converge Using the Cauchy Condensation Test?

What is the Cauchy condensation test?

The Cauchy condensation test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

How does the Cauchy condensation test work?

The Cauchy condensation test involves taking the sum of the terms in the original series and comparing it to the sum of the terms in a new series, where each term is multiplied by a power of 2. If the sum of the new series converges, then the original series also converges. If the sum of the new series diverges, then the original series also diverges.

When is the Cauchy condensation test useful?

The Cauchy condensation test is useful for determining the convergence or divergence of series that do not have strictly positive terms. It can also be used for comparing the convergence or divergence of two different series.

What is the difference between the Cauchy condensation test and the Cauchy convergence test?

The Cauchy condensation test and the Cauchy convergence test are similar in that they both involve comparing the terms of a series to determine its convergence or divergence. However, the Cauchy convergence test is used for series with strictly positive terms, while the Cauchy condensation test can be used for series with non-negative terms.

Are there any limitations to the Cauchy condensation test?

Yes, the Cauchy condensation test may not always be conclusive in determining the convergence or divergence of a series. It is important to use other tests and methods to confirm the results obtained from the Cauchy condensation test.