Does the Kubo Formula Calculate Conductivity for Antennas or Photodetectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between an antenna and a photodetector in terms of their ability to detect the amplitude and phase of an electromagnetic wave. It is mentioned that the functioning of an antenna is based on the generation of alternate current by the electric field, while a photodetector is based on the photoelectric effect. The Kubo-Greenwood formula is mentioned as a way to calculate the conductivity of a material as a function of frequency. The question is posed whether this formula is used for calculating the conductivity in the sense of an antenna or a photodetector. The conversation also touches upon the use of the Kubo formula in experiments with graphene photodetectors and the ability of graphene to detect the phase
Albe5588
Hello everybody,
I'm new. It's a long time a have a big (probably stupid) doubt about the interaction between light and media, and now it's time to solve it. The doubt its essentially concerning the difference between an antenna and a photodetector: the first one is able to detect the amplitude and the phase of an electromagnetic wave, the second one detects the power.

To what I know, the principle of functioning of an antenna is completely different from a detector, because its based on the generation of "surface" alternate current by the electric field impinging a metal, while a detector is based on the photoelectric effect.An optical wavelength cannot be detected in its amplitude and phase like a GHz one, because electrons in media are too slow to follow the electric field variation at hundread of THz.Now, we can calculate the conductivity as a function of the frequency of an external electromagnetic excitation, starting from the Kubo formula.

The question is: is the Kubo formula an equation to calculate the conductivity in the sense of an antenna or in the sens of a photodetector? what I mean is: if I calculate the conductivity at a certain frequency, is this conductivity linked with a varying current at the same frequency of the field, or it is linked to a dc current generated by the photoelectric effect?

I don't know if I was clear, and I admit that I have a lot of confusion about this argument, that's why I need your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kubo-Greenwood formula for the optical conductivity is for calculating sigma as a function of frequency; sigma is the ratio of the ac current to the electric field at that frequency.

PietKuip said:
The Kubo-Greenwood formula for the optical conductivity is for calculating sigma as a function of frequency; sigma is the ratio of the ac current to the electric field at that frequency.

Ok , thak you!

I pose this question because I'm working on graphene photodetectors. Graphene exhibits a flat absorbance over a wide range of optical frequencies. There are some experiments that show this, for example http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0810/0810.1269.pdf. In this work they calculate the conductivity with the Kubo formula and exprimentally verify it.

So, does it means that graphene can detect the phase and amplitude of an hundread of therahertz (optical) electromagnetic field as an antenna does for a GHz signals ?

Moreover, if I send light on graphene at optical wavelengths, I can measure a dc current generated by light; so, I can see this current generation process (photodetection) as a change in conductivity induced by the creation of electron-hole couples. for what you said, this change in conductivity has nothing to do with the kubo formula. Do I am right?

Related to Does the Kubo Formula Calculate Conductivity for Antennas or Photodetectors?

1. What is the Kubo formula of conductivity?

The Kubo formula of conductivity is an equation used to calculate the electrical conductivity of a material at finite temperatures. It takes into account the effects of both thermal and quantum fluctuations on the movement of charge carriers.

2. How is the Kubo formula of conductivity derived?

The Kubo formula of conductivity is derived from the Kubo formalism, which is a mathematical framework for studying the transport properties of materials. It involves calculating the correlation between the current density and the electric field in a material, and then using the fluctuation-dissipation theorem to relate this correlation to the electrical conductivity.

3. What is the significance of the Kubo formula of conductivity?

The Kubo formula of conductivity is significant because it allows us to accurately calculate the electrical conductivity of materials at finite temperatures, taking into account both thermal and quantum effects. This is especially useful in the study of materials with unique electronic properties, such as semiconductors and superconductors.

4. How does the Kubo formula of conductivity differ from other conductivity equations?

The Kubo formula of conductivity differs from other conductivity equations in that it takes into account the effects of both thermal and quantum fluctuations on the movement of charge carriers. Other equations, such as the Drude model, only consider the classical motion of charge carriers and do not take into account quantum effects.

5. Are there any limitations to the Kubo formula of conductivity?

One limitation of the Kubo formula of conductivity is that it requires a detailed understanding of the electronic structure of the material being studied. This can be challenging for complex materials or those with strong electron-electron interactions. Additionally, the Kubo formula is typically only applicable to materials with a low concentration of charge carriers, and may not accurately predict the conductivity of highly conducting materials.