Does the Definite Integral Equal Zero for a Continuous Function?

In summary: So using the property of limits, we have for all x in [a-c,a+c] f(x) >K. So it is the case that f(x) = 0 for all x in R.
mike1988
Let f : R to R be a continuous function, and suppose that definite integral from m to n |∫(m to n)f(x)dx|≤(n-m)^2 for every closed bounded interval [m, n] in R. Then is it the case that f(x) = 0 for all x in R?

I tried using fundamental theorem of calculus but got stuck, since I only got that F'(x)=f(x)≤ 0.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think f(x) would be 0? Doesn't make much sense.

If f is non-zero at a point a then there exists some b, K > 0 s.t. f(x) > K for all x in [a-b,a+b]. Can you finish the proof?

xAxis said:
Why do you think f(x) would be 0? Doesn't make much sense.

At first I thought it was wrong, so was trying to find a counterexample. But I saw this question in a book asks to show that f(x)=0 for all x in R, which means it should be true. I was using Mean Value theorem and fundamental theorem of calc but I am not really heading anywhere with those.

Thanks and any further help will be appreciated!

deluks917 said:
If f is non-zero at a point a then there exists some b, K > 0 s.t. f(x) > K for all x in [a-b,a+b]. Can you finish the proof?

I guess I don't really get what this means (are you using the sing-change property of continuity?). I am really stuck!

Thanks

mike1988 said:
I guess I don't really get what this means (are you using the sing-change property of continuity?). I am really stuck!

Thanks

Using continuity of f is that the condition is fulfilled, so [tex]\,f(x)>K \,\,\forall\,x\in [a-b,a+b]\Longrightarrow \int_{a-b}^{a+b}f(x)dx>K\int_{a-b}^{a+b}dx = 2Kb[/tex] Can you see now how to finish with a contradiction?

DonAntonio

note also if 0<b<c then f(x) >K on [a-c,a+c].

Related to Does the Definite Integral Equal Zero for a Continuous Function?

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is typically used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the area under a curve between two given points. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and represents the most general antiderivative of a function.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse processes of each other. In other words, the integral of a function is the reverse operation of finding its derivative.

What is continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function that describes its smoothness and lack of gaps or jumps. A function is continuous if its graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it is defined at every point in its domain, and the limit of the function exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that there are no breaks, holes, or jumps in the graph of the function.