Does the Converse of the Ratio Test Always Hold for Convergent Series?

In summary, the conversation discussed the converse of the ratio test and whether it is true or not. It was found that 0+0+0+... converges, but the ratio is not defined, making it a counterexample for the converse of the ratio test. The conversation then considered the possibility of non-trivial counterexamples and discussed a potential one involving the series $\sum\frac{1}{n(n-1)}$. Finally, it was concluded that if a series converges, the limit of the absolute value of the ratio must be less than or equal to 1.
alexmahone
Is the converse of the ratio test true?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. I think you can construct an easy counterexample. Care to imagine one?

Krizalid said:
I don't think so. I think you can construct an easy counterexample. Care to imagine one?

0+0+0+... converges but the ratio is not defined.

I wonder if there are any non-trivial counterexamples.

Alexmahone said:

The "ratio test" says that if $lim \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}< 1$ then $\sum a_n$ converges.

The converse is "if $\sum a_n$ converged then $lim \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}< 1$".

Find a convergent series such that that limit is 1.

Alexmahone said:

Maybe...

$$ a_n=\frac{1}{n(n-1)} $$

HallsofIvy said:
Find a convergent series such that that limit is 1.

$\displaystyle\sum\frac{1}{n^2}$

So, is it safe to say that if a series converges, then $\displaystyle\lim\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\le 1$?

Related to Does the Converse of the Ratio Test Always Hold for Convergent Series?

What is the converse of the ratio test?

The converse of the ratio test is a theorem that states if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms in a sequence is less than 1, then the series converges.

How is the converse of the ratio test different from the ratio test?

The ratio test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, while the converse of the ratio test is used to prove the convergence of a series.

What is the importance of the converse of the ratio test?

The converse of the ratio test is important in proving the convergence of series that do not fit the criteria of the ratio test, but still converge.

Can the converse of the ratio test be used to prove the divergence of a series?

No, the converse of the ratio test can only be used to prove the convergence of a series, not the divergence. It is possible for a series to satisfy the criteria of the converse of the ratio test and still diverge.

How is the converse of the ratio test used in real-world applications?

The converse of the ratio test is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science, to prove the convergence of series and ensure the accuracy of calculations and simulations.