Does Shape Affect the Tension in Strings Suspended in Water?

In summary, the two objects are equal in buoyancy because the pressure differential on the top surface is the same for both objects.
cy19861126

Homework Statement

Two objects of the same mass and volume but different shape are suspended from strings in a tank of water as shown. Is there more tension force on the string by object A or B? Link to the picture can be found at http://students.washington.edu/cy1126/Buoyancy.JPG

Homework Equations

P = pgh, where p = density
F = PA
P = pghA
B = pgh1A1 - pgh2A2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that object A is more buoyant than object B because object A has a greater difference of depth than object B therefore contributing to a greater buoyancy. For object B, although the force on top of it is greater due to larger area, the "difference" of area is almost the same as object A. I am not sure about my reasoning here. Can someone check my answer for me as well as giving me some clue if I am getting the wrong concept

Attachments

• Buoyancy.JPG
    Buoyancy.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 525
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, at first glance, I'd think that the two bouyancies would be the same, since the density of the water does not change (with this small depth difference), so both objects displace the same mass of water, and hence get the same amount of lift.

Then I through about what makes the lift -- it's the pressure differential on the top surface versus the bottom surface. The side-pressure components don't contribute to the lift. So for two cylinders of different diameters and heights (but same mass), what can you say about the pressures and forces on the tops and bottoms, and what does that tell you about their comparative bouyancies?

And then finally, check your answer against this specific example where the shapes are stepped (cylinders or boxes -- it doesn't matter). Account for all the vertical forces on the various edges, and tell us if the bouyancies are the same or not.

berkeman said:
Well, at first glance, I'd think that the two bouyancies would be the same, since the density of the water does not change (with this small depth difference), so both objects displace the same mass of water, and hence get the same amount of lift.

Then I through about what makes the lift -- it's the pressure differential on the top surface versus the bottom surface. The side-pressure components don't contribute to the lift. So for two cylinders of different diameters and heights (but same mass), what can you say about the pressures and forces on the tops and bottoms, and what does that tell you about their comparative bouyancies?

And then finally, check your answer against this specific example where the shapes are stepped (cylinders or boxes -- it doesn't matter). Account for all the vertical forces on the various edges, and tell us if the bouyancies are the same or not.
oh, I see now, it took me a while to think about it until you told me to draw boxes. So just to verify if my thinking is correct. Although object A has a greater depth difference, the pressure exerted on the vertical surface is less than that of object B because it has a smaller surface area. On the other hand, although there are more pressure exerting on object B because of its large surface area, it has a smaller depth difference. Therefore, essentially, the two buoyancies are the same? Sorry, it is really hard to word this, but I think I get the concept. Can you check if there's any flaw in my thinking? Thanks

C'mon I need the help~~

I believe that you have the right idea. If it were me, I'd put some numbers in for some real objects -- especially the ones shown in the diagram. Just to convince myself that I was correct...

Related to Does Shape Affect the Tension in Strings Suspended in Water?

What is buoyancy and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged in it. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps determine the equilibrium of objects and their ability to float or sink in a fluid.

How is buoyancy calculated?

Buoyancy is calculated by using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect buoyancy calculations?

The factors that affect buoyancy calculations include the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the gravitational force acting on both the fluid and the object. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect buoyancy.

How does buoyancy relate to the concept of density?

Buoyancy and density are closely related as buoyancy is dependent on the density of the fluid. An object with a higher density than the fluid it is placed in will sink, while an object with a lower density will float. This is because the object with a lower density will displace a greater volume of fluid, resulting in a greater upward force.

Can buoyancy calculations be applied to objects in air?

Yes, buoyancy calculations can be applied to objects in air as well. The same principle of buoyancy applies, but the density of air is much lower than that of water, so the buoyant force is much smaller. This is why objects that are denser than air, such as a helium balloon, will float in the air.