Does Physics course teach basic computing skills?

In summary, taking an evening course in programming can be very useful for those who want to learn it on their own.
Violinist
At university of Toronto, do certain physics courses teach computer programmings? or do I need to take extra course for computer
Not that I don't want to take it but I think I will have full course for both 1st year uni even without the computer courses. I think it is important to learn programming if i am a physics major.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I know it really is important, but I think it's assumed that you already know how to program when you are a physics major. You pretty much have to study it by yourself.

mathsciguy said:
From what I know it really is important, but I think it's assumed that you already know how to program when you are a physics major. You pretty much have to study it by yourself.

I have no prior knowledge, can you teach me some stuff that I should know before graduating high school and I shall be learning during the undergrad?

Violinist said:
I have no prior knowledge, can you teach me some stuff that I should know before graduating high school and I shall be learning during the undergrad?

I haven't reached far from the program myself yet but it's a no brainer that you should get as much math skills and knowledge (preferably as far as calculus) as you can before entering college. Programming skills is a huge plus (though, computational physics is something I'm yet to take)

Violinist said:
At university of Toronto, do certain physics courses teach computer programmings?

Surely the UofT website has course descriptions. If a particular physics course is also intended to teach computer programming, the course description should say so.

Computer programming is a complex enough subject that it can't really be taught extensively or well as a "sideline" to another course, especially a physics course which is rather demanding to begin with. If you want to learn programming, either take a course in it at some point, or take the time to learn it on your own.

When I was 16 my school encourage me to take a one year evening course in Fortran computer programming at the local technical college. Just meeting other, and older, people with similar interests was fun & educational. And the course was very useful.

When I did physics at University I was never offered a computing course, but bashed together some Fortran programmes to analyse data, rather than doing it by hand. That impressed them, might even have raised by grades a notch. Then after I couldn't get a job in physics my whole career has been in computing... that one year evening course was probably the most useful course I ever took.

So try and find an evening course - make sure it is in a proper programming language - Fortran is still good, though you might find C++ & Java more likely to be on offer these days - these are also good. Pascal, Smalltalk are perhaps less easily found now, but also good (Smalltalk I love!) Visual Basic will do at a pinch.

If you aren't 16 yet, or just like fun, then check out:

http://news.squeak.org/2008/10/28/squeak-learn-programming-with-robots-now-free/

Related to Does Physics course teach basic computing skills?

1. What is the purpose of including computing skills in a Physics course?

The purpose of including computing skills in a Physics course is to help students develop the necessary skills to analyze and model complex physical phenomena using computational tools. This is becoming increasingly important in modern scientific research and industry.

2. Do I need prior knowledge of programming to learn basic computing skills in a Physics course?

No, prior knowledge of programming is not necessary. The basic computing skills taught in a Physics course focus on using existing software and tools to solve problems, rather than on programming from scratch.

3. What types of computing skills are typically taught in a Physics course?

The types of computing skills taught in a Physics course may include data analysis, simulation and modeling, numerical methods, and programming in a scientific computing language such as Python or MATLAB.

4. How do computing skills enhance the understanding of Physics concepts?

Computing skills allow for the manipulation and visualization of complex data and equations, making it easier to understand and analyze physical phenomena. They also allow for the exploration of different scenarios and parameters, aiding in the development of intuition and problem-solving skills.

5. Are computing skills only useful for studying Physics?

No, computing skills are becoming increasingly important in many fields of science and engineering. They can also be applied in areas such as data analysis, machine learning, and computer science. Therefore, learning basic computing skills in a Physics course can have broader applications in various fields.