Does 'molar mass' include an atomic weight for single atom?

In summary, molar mass represents the mass of one mole of entities, which can be atoms, molecules, or anything else. The calculation of moles for water molecules and hydrogen atoms is based on their respective molar masses.
HCverma
Does molar mass include an atomic weight for single atom and molecular weight for molecules?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do not understand your question. Molar mass simply represent the mass of one mole of entities. These entities could be anything: atoms, molecules, whatever...

Likes HCverma
CroSinus said:
I do not understand your question. Molar mass simply represent the mass of one mole of entities. These entities could be anything: atoms, molecules, whatever...
I got my answer. Thanks a lot.

For example: mass of water is given and amounts to 18 g. Calculate the number of moles for water molecules, and calculate the number of moles for hydrogen atoms.
Answer:
m (H2O) = 18 g
n (H2O) = ?
n (H) = ?
-------------------------------------

n (H2O) = m (H2O) / M(H2O) = 18 g / 18 g mol-1 = 1 mol

n (H) = m (H) / M(H) = 2 g / 1 g mol-1 = 2 mol

So, the answer is: 18 g of water contain 1 mol of water and 2 moles of hydrogen.

Related to Does 'molar mass' include an atomic weight for single atom?

1. What is molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, which is equal to its atomic weight or molecular weight in grams.

2. Does molar mass include the atomic weight for a single atom?

Yes, molar mass includes the atomic weight for a single atom. This is because the molar mass is calculated by multiplying the atomic weight by the number of atoms present in one mole of the substance.

3. Is the molar mass the same as the atomic weight?

No, molar mass and atomic weight are not the same. Atomic weight is the average mass of the atoms in a sample of an element, while molar mass is the mass of one mole of that element.

4. How do you calculate molar mass?

To calculate molar mass, you need to multiply the atomic weight of each element in the compound by the number of atoms present in the compound, then add all of these values together. This will give you the molar mass of the compound.

5. Why is molar mass important in chemistry?

Molar mass is important in chemistry because it is used to convert between mass and moles of a substance. It is also used to determine the percent composition of elements in a compound and to calculate various other properties, such as density and molarity.