Does Minimum of Complex Set Subset Exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a minimum value in a set ##L_B##, given that the set ##B## is convex. The question arises if the convexity of ##L_B## is sufficient for the existence of a minimum. A counterexample is given and the suggestion is made to consider if ##B## is also compact. It is concluded that a compact set always has a minimum, since it is both bounded and closed.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The following doesn't come from a textbook, and I am very uncertain whether it is true or false. Suppose that ##B \subseteq \mathbb{C}## is a convex set, and consider the set ##L_B := \{|b|: b \in B \}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, will ##min~L_B## exist? My thought was that ##B## being convex implied that ##L_B## is convex; but I am unsure whether convexity of ##L_B## is sufficient to conclude that ##min~L_B##. Please refrain from giving me an entire answer, but I would appreciate a few hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about an open set in ##\mathbb{R}##.

Ah, a counterexample! For instance, if we have ##B = (0,1)##, then ##L_B = B##, yet ##B## does not have a minimum. What if we stipulate that ##B## must also be compact?

Does a compact set always have a minimum?

A compact set is both bounded and closed.

Since a compact set is bounded and closed, the infimum is the minimum, and the minimum exists.

Related to Does Minimum of Complex Set Subset Exist?

1. What is the minimum of a complex set subset?

The minimum of a complex set subset is the smallest element within the subset. It is the value that is closest to negative infinity and is the starting point for further calculations.

2. Why is it important to determine the minimum of a complex set subset?

Determining the minimum of a complex set subset is important because it helps in understanding the overall behavior and characteristics of the subset. It can also be used as a benchmark for comparisons with other subsets or for optimization purposes.

3. How is the minimum of a complex set subset calculated?

The minimum of a complex set subset is calculated by arranging all the elements in the subset in ascending order and then selecting the first element as the minimum value. This can be done manually or by using mathematical functions and algorithms.

4. Can the minimum of a complex set subset be negative?

Yes, the minimum of a complex set subset can be negative. This is because the subset may contain negative numbers or the subset itself may be a negative value.

5. Is the minimum of a complex set subset always unique?

No, the minimum of a complex set subset may not always be unique. If the subset contains duplicate values, then the minimum value will also be a duplicate. However, if the subset does not contain duplicate values, then the minimum value will be unique.