Does Matrix M Prove T is an Isomorphism Between Vector Spaces?

In summary: So in summary, in order to show that T is an isomorphism between \mathcal{B} and \mathcal{C}, you need to find an invertible transformation matrix M that preserves multiplication.
atlantic
Information:
The vector-space [itex]\mathcal{F}([0,\pi],\mathbb{R})[/itex] consists of all real functions on [itex][0,\pi][/itex]. We let [itex]W[/itex] be its subspace with the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] = {[itex]1,cost,cos(2t),cos(3t),...,cos(7t)[/itex]}.

[itex]T: W \rightarrow \mathbb{R} ^8[/itex] is the transformation where: [itex]T(h) = (h(t_1), h(t_2),...,h(t_8))[/itex], [itex]h \in W[/itex] and [itex]t_i = (\pi(2i-1))/16[/itex] , [itex]i\in[/itex]{[itex]1,2,...8[/itex]}

The call the standard basis for [itex]\mathbb{R} ^8[/itex] for [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex]. The change-of-coordinates matrix of [itex]T[/itex] from [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] is an invertibel matrix we call [itex]M[/itex].

My question is how I can show that [itex]T[/itex] is an isomorphism. I know that this means that [itex]T[/itex] must be a invertibel linear transformation, but how do I show this? Does it have anything to do with the fact that the change-of-coordinates matrix [itex]M[/itex] is invertibel, and how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi atlantic! :smile:

Doesn't Fourier guarantee a unique discrete transform between 8 points and 8 amplitudes on the cosine basis limited to the interval [0,pi]?

But how do I prove this using the given information?

You need to show that T is a bijection that conserves multiplication.

I haven't worked it out yet, but the Fourier series gives a bijection between h(ti) in ℝ8 and an in ℝ8 which are the coefficients of the cosines:
[tex]a_n = \sum_{i=1}^8 h(t_i) \cos n t_i[/tex]
I think it identifies your matrix M.

Bijection is not covered in my course:frown: Is there not any other way to make the proof?

atlantic said:
Bijection is not covered in my course:frown: Is there not any other way to make the proof?

I believe invertible linear transformation covers it.
If you can find an invertible transformation matrix M that does the job between B and C, it is trivial that it is a bijection.

And I just checked and it turns out that for vector spaces to be isomorphic you do not need conservation of multiplication (actually that is implicit since they are linear).

Last edited:

Related to Does Matrix M Prove T is an Isomorphism Between Vector Spaces?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in terms of vectors and matrices. It involves the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. It has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. In the context of linear algebra, an isomorphism is a bijective linear transformation between two vector spaces, preserving their algebraic structure and properties. It essentially means that the two vector spaces are "essentially the same" in terms of their underlying structure.

3. How is isomorphism different from similarity?

Isomorphism and similarity are related concepts, but they have different meanings. Isomorphism is a property of linear transformations, while similarity is a property of matrices. Two linear transformations are isomorphic if they have the same structure and properties, while two matrices are similar if they represent the same linear transformation with respect to different bases. In other words, isomorphism refers to the transformation itself, while similarity refers to the representation of the transformation.

4. What is the importance of isomorphism in linear algebra?

Isomorphism is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to study the properties of vector spaces and linear transformations in a more general and abstract way. It helps us to identify and understand the commonalities between different vector spaces and transformations, and to prove theorems and results that hold true for all isomorphic structures. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, data compression, and network analysis.

5. Can two vector spaces be isomorphic if they have different dimensions?

No, two vector spaces cannot be isomorphic if they have different dimensions. Isomorphic vector spaces must have the same number of dimensions, as this is a fundamental property of isomorphism. However, it is possible for two vector spaces of different dimensions to be isomorphic to their quotients, which are essentially "reduced" versions of the original vector spaces.