Does ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## exist?

In summary, as (x,y) approaches (0,0) along various straight lines for the function ##f(x,y)= \frac{x^4y^4}{(x^2 + y^4)^3}##, the limit does not exist. However, when approaching (0,0) along the curve x = y^2, the limit is found to be ##\frac{1}{8}##. This indicates that the limit of the function does not exist as it approaches (0,0). The purpose of examining the behavior along various straight lines is to cover all possible approaches to (0,0) and demonstrate that the limit does not exist.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

Examine the behavior of ##f (x,y)= \frac{x^4y^4}{(x^2 + y^4)^3}## as (x,y) approaches (0,0) along various straight lines. From your observations, what might you conjecture ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## to be? Next, consider what happens when ##(x,y)## approaches ##(0,0)## along the curve ##x=y^2##. Does ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## exist? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing but I will try anyway.

As ##x \rightarrow 0## along ##y=0##, ##f(x,y)=\frac{1}{x^2}##
Hence, limit does not exist.

As ##y \rightarrow 0## along ##x=0##, ##f(x,y)= \frac{1}{y^8}##
Hence, limit also does not exist.

When ##x=y^2##,
##f(y^2, y) = \frac{(y^2)^4y^4}{(2y^4)^3}##
##=\frac{1}{8}##

In the first place, I honestly don't understand why the question asked me to consider what happens for the above special case. Since from finding the limit approaching from the ##x## and ##y## axis, I found the limit to not exist, what is the point of doing this additional step? I'm so confused.

And another thing I'm not too sure about. When the textbook asks me to consider the limit when approaching either through the ##x## axis or ##y## axis, does that in any way relate to component functions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Neither of those are correct. What are the formulas for ##f(x,0)## and ##f(0,y)##?

andrewkirk said:
Neither of those are correct. What are the formulas for ##f(x,0)## and ##f(0,y)##?
I'm not sure. Are they ##lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac {x^4}{(x^2)^3}##, and ##lim_{y\rightarrow 0} \frac{y^4}{( y^4)^3}##?

No. What is ##x^4\times 0##? What is ##0\times y^4##?

andrewkirk said:
No. What is ##x^4\times 0##? What is ##0\times y^4##?
Oh I see. Zero?

@andrewkirk Ah so I get it now. When I approach ##(0,0)## along the ##x## or ##y## axis, it seems that I would get zero as my limit. But when I approach it along the curve ##x=y^2##, I get the limit ##\frac{1}{8}##. Is it right? (Or did I do the limits thing wrongly for ##x=y^2##)? If it's correct, then this function would not have a limit right?

Yes, that's right.

Likes toforfiltum
andrewkirk said:
Yes, that's right.
Ok thanks!

toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

Examine the behavior of ##f (x,y)= \frac{x^4y^4}{(x^2 + y^4)^3}## as (x,y) approaches (0,0) along various straight lines. From your observations, what might you conjecture ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## to be? Next, consider what happens when ##(x,y)## approaches ##(0,0)## along the curve ##x=y^2##. Does ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## exist? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing but I will try anyway.

When ##x=y^2##,
##f(y^2, y) = \frac{(y^2)^4y^4}{(2y^4)^3}##
##=\frac{1}{8}##

In the first place, I honestly don't understand why the question asked me to consider what happens for the above special case. Since from finding the limit approaching from the ##x## and ##y## axis, I found the limit to not exist, what is the point of doing this additional step? I'm so confused.

And another thing I'm not too sure about. When the textbook asks me to consider the limit when approaching either through the ##x## axis or ##y## axis, does that in any way relate to component functions?

Thanks.
So now look in general along y = mx

SammyS said:
So now look in general along y = mx
Is it like this:

##f(x,y)= \frac{x^4(mx)^4}{(x^2+m^4x^4)^3}##

##= \frac {m^4x^8}{[x^2(1+m^4x^2)]^3}##

##= \frac{m^4x^2}{(1+m^4x^2)^3}##

Hence limit is zero?

What is the point of doing this?

toforfiltum said:
Is it like this:

##f(x,y)= \frac{x^4(mx)^4}{(x^2+m^4x^4)^3}##

##= \frac {m^4x^8}{[x^2(1+m^4x^2)]^3}##

##= \frac{m^4x^2}{(1+m^4x^2)^3}##

Hence limit is zero?

What is the point of doing this?
The point of this is in your OP:

toforfiltum said:
Examine the behavior of ##\displaystyle\ f (x,y)= \frac{x^4y^4}{(x^2 + y^4)^3}\ ## as (x,y) approaches (0,0) along various straight lines.

This covers all straight lines except the line, x = 0. You covered that separately.

Likes toforfiltum
SammyS said:
This covers all straight lines except the line, x = 0. You covered that separately.
Ah I see...thanks!

Related to Does ##\lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} f(x,y)## exist?

1. What does it mean for a limit to exist at a point?

When we say that a limit exists at a point, it means that as the input values get closer and closer to that point, the output values also get closer and closer to a single, finite value. In other words, the function approaches a specific value at that point.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

To determine if a limit exists at a point, you can use a variety of techniques such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, or evaluating the function at different points approaching the given point. If all these methods yield the same value, then the limit exists. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

3. What happens if the limit does not exist?

If the limit does not exist at a point, it means that the function does not approach a single, finite value as the input values get closer and closer to that point. This could be due to a discontinuity, an asymptote, or the function oscillating between different values at that point.

4. Can a limit exist at a point even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist at a point even if the function is not defined at that point. This can happen when the function has a removable discontinuity, meaning that there is a hole in the graph at that point. In this case, the limit can be found by evaluating the function at points close to the given point.

5. Can a limit exist if the function has different values approaching from different directions?

No, a limit cannot exist if the function has different values approaching from different directions. This is known as a jump discontinuity, where the function has a sudden jump in value at the given point. In this case, the limit from one direction will be different from the limit from the other direction, so the overall limit does not exist.