Does L'Hopital's Rule Apply to Limits of x^(1-p) as x Approaches Infinity?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the limit \lim_{x→∞} x^{1-p} where p>1 and the use of L'Hopital's rule. The experts also discuss the behavior of the limit as p approaches 1 and provide a suggestion for a different approach to solving the problem.
Bipolarity
I've been trying for a while to compute this limit. Is there even a unique solution to this problem?

[tex] \lim_{x→∞} x^{1-p} [/tex] where [itex] p>1 [/itex]

I tried using L'Hopital's rule, but it didn't work out.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also curious about the answer

lim(x-->∞) x1-p = lim(x-->∞) x1x-p = lim(x-->∞) x/xp = ∞/∞

So we apply L'hopitals:

lim(x-->∞) 1/(pxp-1) = 1/p lim(x-->∞) 1/(xp-1)

so as long as p-1>0 the limit goes to 0, right? And we know, p>1, so we know that p-1>0 so this should go to 0

It seems to me that, intuitively, your function should approach zero regardless of p (assuming p > 1). Let me see what I can do more legitimately though.

First split ##x^{1-p}## into ##x^1 x^{-p}##

From there I would make it a quotient and try some fancy l'hopital's on it. I'd help more but I need to get somewhere. Good luck, however!

Mod note: in LaTeX expressions with exponents with more than one character, use braces - {} - around the exponent. I fixed the exponents above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bipolarity said:
I've been trying for a while to compute this limit. Is there even a unique solution to this problem?

[tex] \lim_{x→∞} x^{1-p} [/tex] where [itex] p>1 [/itex]

I tried using L'Hopital's rule, but it didn't work out.

BiP

1. Do you know in which cases you're allowed to use L'Hôpital's rule ??
2. By [itex] \infty [/itex] do you assume [itex] +\infty [/itex] ?
2. If p>1, then 1-p <0 = -s, s>0, so that the object under the limit becomes

[tex] \frac{1}{x^s}, ~ s>0 [/tex]

Which should be easier to handle when considering the limit.

Related to Does L'Hopital's Rule Apply to Limits of x^(1-p) as x Approaches Infinity?

1. Can a limit be computed for any function?

No, a limit cannot be computed for every function. Some functions may not have a well-defined limit or may have a limit that is infinite.

2. How do I know if a limit can be computed?

To determine if a limit can be computed, you can use the rules of limits to check if the function meets the necessary criteria. If the function satisfies the conditions for computing a limit, then it can be computed.

3. What are the different types of limits that can be computed?

There are three main types of limits that can be computed: one-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits involve approaching the limit from either the left or right side of the function. Infinite limits involve a function approaching positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity involve the behavior of a function as the input approaches infinity.

4. Can a limit be computed at a discontinuity?

No, a limit cannot be computed at a point of discontinuity. This is because the function is undefined at that point, and therefore cannot have a well-defined limit.

5. What is the process for computing a limit?

The process for computing a limit involves evaluating the function at values close to the limit point, using algebraic manipulation and the rules of limits, and simplifying until a definite value can be determined. Graphing the function may also help in understanding the behavior of the function near the limit point.