Does Inflation & WMAP Conflict?

• Thread starter palmer eldtrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflation
In summary: In that case, the angles would be something like 120°, indicating that the square would be off-center by a distance proportional to the radius of the torus.
palmer eldtrich
I read the following passage from a book that does not look correct to me. I understood that the geometry of the universe as far as we can tell is flat to within the error bars of our measurements and that is therefefore either infinite or at least much much larger than our observable patch. However the passage reads as this:
"Current observational data indicate a closed-geometry universe, contrary to the predictions of inflationary multiverse models. Additionally, the low power seen in the low spherical harmonics from WMAP indicate that the total universe may not be much larger than the observable universe."
I was pretty sure WMAP and Planck results were considered inflation friendly. Have i got something wrong or is this passage wrong?

Space news on Phys.org
palmer eldtrich said:
I read the following passage from a book that does not look correct to me. I understood that the geometry of the universe as far as we can tell is flat to within the error bars of our measurements and that is therefefore either infinite or at least much much larger than our observable patch. However the passage reads as this:
"Current observational data indicate a closed-geometry universe, contrary to the predictions of inflationary multiverse models. Additionally, the low power seen in the low spherical harmonics from WMAP indicate that the total universe may not be much larger than the observable universe."
I was pretty sure WMAP and Planck results were considered inflation friendly. Have i got something wrong or is this passage wrong?
Yeah, it's not correct.

There are some inflation models which are made unlikely by the latest Planck (and other CMB) data, but there are many other models which fit the data just fine. There is no evidence (yet) of any deviation from flatness.

Likes jim mcnamara and skydivephil
Thanks, thought so.

It is interesting to note that Einstein strongly favored a closed universe. His equations become rather awkward in an open universe

Chronos said:
It is interesting to note that Einstein strongly favored a closed universe. His equations become rather awkward in an open universe
I'm not sure that's important. But it is true that most theorists who consider models for the birth of our universe tend to find it easier to work with topologically closed universes.

But just because a universe is closed topologically doesn't mean we should always expect to measure positive curvature. To take a simple example, consider a torus. A two-dimensional torus embedded in three dimensions (basically a doughnut) has positive curvature along the outside and negative curvature along the inside. If our universe as a whole had a similar topology, it would be possible for the observable patch to fall along the interior side that has negative curvature, despite the closed topology.

Chalnoth said:
A two-dimensional torus embedded in three dimensions (basically a doughnut) has positive curvature along the outside and negative curvature along the inside.
Really? I can draw a square everywhere and the angles are always 90°, indicating zero curvature.

mfb said:
Really? I can draw a square everywhere and the angles are always 90°, indicating zero curvature.
That's true for an idealized torus. It's not true for the 2D torus embedded in three dimensions.

Related to Does Inflation & WMAP Conflict?

1. What is inflation and how does it relate to the WMAP?

Inflation is a theory that describes a rapid expansion of the universe in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang. The WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe) is a satellite that measures the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is thought to be a remnant of the Big Bang. Inflation is believed to be the mechanism that created the patterns seen in the WMAP data.

2. Does the WMAP data support the theory of inflation?

Yes, the WMAP data provides strong evidence in support of the inflation theory. The patterns observed in the cosmic microwave background radiation are consistent with the predictions made by inflation, such as the nearly uniform distribution of matter in the universe. Additionally, the WMAP data has helped to refine and improve our understanding of inflation and the early universe.

3. Are there any conflicts between inflation and the WMAP data?

There are some minor discrepancies between the predictions of inflation and the WMAP data, but these have largely been resolved through further observations and refinements to the theory. One example is the observed asymmetry in the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is still being studied and may provide new insights into the early universe.

4. Can we use the WMAP data to test alternative theories to inflation?

Yes, the WMAP data has been used to test and rule out alternative theories to inflation. For example, the data strongly supports the idea that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion, rather than a steady state model or a cyclical model. By comparing the data to different theories, we can gain a better understanding of the early universe and the processes that shaped it.

5. What are the implications of the WMAP data for our understanding of the universe?

The WMAP data has greatly advanced our understanding of the universe and its origins. It has provided evidence for the Big Bang theory and helped to refine our understanding of inflation and the early universe. The data also supports the idea of a flat, expanding universe and has given us a more precise estimate of the age of the universe. Additionally, the WMAP data has provided insights into the composition and evolution of the universe, and continues to be a valuable tool for studying the cosmos.