Does Increasing PSI on a Boiler Increase its BHP Output?

• I
  • Thread starter Gary K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    boiler
In summary: We did multiple tests at higher psi levels with the gate valve fully open, but the boiler couldn't keep up and lost pressure rapidly. In summary, the experiment with a Cleaver Brooks 30bhp boiler showed that at 40 PSI during a "vent to atmosphere" test, the boiler was able to maintain a fairly constant pressure and output of 13bhp. However, when the gate valve was opened to 100% at the same pressure, the boiler could not keep up and lost pressure rapidly, indicating that it may have been exceeding its capacity to maintain pressure. Further testing at higher psi levels also showed that the boiler could not keep up with the demand for
Gary K
Just completed an experiment using a Cleaver Brooks 30bhp boiler rated at 140 PSI. At 40 PSI I did a "vent to atmosphere" test with a water meter attached to the boiler feed tank. I was able to find the equilibrium point of the boiler (didn't kick off, pressure remained fairly constant) over the course of an hour. The result of the test showed that the boiler was putting out about 13bhp. During the course of the experiment we found that this setting (40psi with a gate valve opened 1 1/4 turns) was not enough to produce the work we needed. Even with the gate valve opened 100% at 40psi we needed more power. We ended up ramping up the psi to 60, 80, 100 and 120. During all of these tests the gate valve was opened to 100% and of course the boiler could not keep up and lost about 10psi per minute. The steam we used was vented to atmosphere. The question is, when the gate valve was wide open at say 100 psi, were we still using about 13bhp or were we actually using far more than 13bhp as we were exceeding the boiler's capacity to maintain pressure? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only vaguely guess what this question is about . Please explain more clearly what you are doing and show us a system diagram .

The point of the question is, If you vent a boiler to atmosphere faster than it can keep up, are you using more bhp (pounds per hour) than the boiler is rated for a brief period of time. When the gate valve was open about 1/8 we were seeing about 450 pounds per hour coming out of the pipe. When the same valve at the same pressure was opened 100% were we seeing more than 450 pounds per hour? We built a custom condenser that would condense 100% of the steam at 40 psi with the valve 1/8 open. When the valve was at 100% open the condenser could not keep up and copious amounts of steam came out. The boiler had a 2" outlet that was reduced to 1". About 70 feet of non-insulated black pipe lead to the outlet.

Gary K said:
a Cleaver Brooks 30bhp boiler rated at 140 PSI. At 40 PSI I did a "vent to atmosphere" ... the boiler was putting out about 13bhp
Why the large discrepancy in bhp? Something seems off in your calculation,

Related to Does Increasing PSI on a Boiler Increase its BHP Output?

What does it mean when a boiler can't keep up?

When a boiler can't keep up, it means that it is not able to meet the demand for heating or hot water in a timely manner. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including a malfunctioning boiler, inadequate boiler size, or extreme weather conditions.

What are some common signs that a boiler is struggling to keep up?

Some common signs that a boiler is struggling to keep up include inconsistent or insufficient heating, cold spots in the home, and longer than usual wait times for hot water. You may also notice an increase in your energy bills or strange noises coming from the boiler.

How can I troubleshoot a boiler that can't keep up?

If your boiler is struggling to keep up, first check the thermostat to make sure it is set to the correct temperature. Next, check the boiler's pressure and reset it if necessary. If these steps do not solve the issue, it may be best to call a professional for further troubleshooting and repairs.

Can a boiler that can't keep up be fixed?

In most cases, yes, a boiler that can't keep up can be fixed. The best course of action is to have a professional inspect the boiler and determine the root cause of the issue. From there, they can make the necessary repairs or adjustments to get your boiler functioning properly again.

How can I prevent my boiler from struggling to keep up in the future?

To prevent your boiler from struggling to keep up in the future, it is important to schedule regular maintenance and inspections. This can help catch any potential issues before they become major problems. It is also important to properly size your boiler and ensure it is installed correctly to avoid any future issues.