Does IM Form a Submodule of M?

• Thread starter iamalexalright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary, IM is a submodule of M because it satisfies the properties of being a submodule: 0 is in IM, any two elements in IM added together will still be in IM, and any element in IM multiplied by a scalar from R will still be in IM.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Let M be a R-module and I is an ideal in R.
Let IM be the set of all finite sums of the form:
[tex]r_{1}v_{1} + ... + r_{n}v_{n}[/tex]
With [tex]r_{i} \in I[/tex] and [tex]v_{i} \in M[/tex]
Is IM a submodule of M?

Homework Equations

A submodule of an R-module M is a nonempty subset S of M that is an R-Module in its own right, under the operations obtained by restricting the operations of M to S.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I want to show that IM is a module itself.

I need to determine if IM is nonempty.
I is nonempty from givens and M is nonempty from givens so IM is nonempty.

Now we have two operations:
[tex]+^{IM}: IM x IM[/tex] and [tex]*^{IM}: R x IM[/tex]

Next I'll check if IM is an abelian group under addition:
Let [tex]a,b \in IM[/tex]
[tex]a + b =[/tex]
[tex]a_{1}v_{1} + ... + a_{n}v_{n} + b_{1}u_{1} + ... b_{n}u_{n} =[/tex]
[tex]b_{1}u_{1} + ... + b_{n}u_{n} + a_{1}v_{1} + ... a_{n}v_{n} =[/tex]
[tex]b + a[/tex]

Thus it is abelian.

Now I need to check if for all [tex]r,s \in R[/tex] and [tex]u,v \in IM[/tex]
these hold:

r(u + v) = ru + rv
(r + s)u = ru + su
(rs)u = r(su)
1u = u

These seem straight forward but I feel like I'm not understanding something (proof just seems wrong). Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
All these things are correct. And eventually you'll get there. But there's a much easier way to prove that something is a submodule!

Take M a R-module. And let [tex]N\subseteq M[/tex]. Then N is a submodule of M if and only if
  • [tex]0\in N[/tex]
  • [tex]\forall n,m\in N:~n+m\in N[/tex]
  • [tex]\forall n\in N:~\forall r\in R:~r.n\in N[/tex]

So it suffices to show these 3 properties and you're done. You don't need to show commutativity and all that things! It's not wrong if you do, but it's superfluous...

Related to Does IM Form a Submodule of M?

1. What is a submodule in mathematics?

A submodule is a subset of a module that is itself a module over the same ring or field. It is closed under the same operations as the original module and inherits its structure from the original module.

2. What is a module in mathematics?

A module is a generalization of the concept of vector spaces, where instead of being defined over a field, it is defined over a ring. Modules allow for more flexibility and are used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra and linear algebra.

3. How is a submodule related to a module?

A submodule is a subset of a module that is itself a module over the same ring or field. This means that a submodule inherits the structure and properties of the original module, but may have additional restrictions or conditions.

4. What is the importance of determining if IM is a submodule of M?

Determining if IM is a submodule of M is important in understanding the structure and properties of M. It can also help in solving problems and making connections between different areas of mathematics, such as algebra and linear algebra.

5. How can one prove that IM is a submodule of M?

To prove that IM is a submodule of M, one must show that it satisfies the definition of a submodule. This includes demonstrating closure under the module operations and showing that it inherits the structure and properties of M. This can be done through various methods, such as using the submodule test or proving the necessary conditions directly.