Does 'fungibility' exist in physics?

• I
  • Thread starter QuantumConfusion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, David Deutsch is a leading proponent of the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of Quantum Mechanics, which states that the universe branches into all possibilities represented by the wavefunction. In his book "The Beginning of Infinity," Deutsch introduces the concept of fungibility, which means that all particles in the multiverse are identical and interchangeable. This idea is central to MWI, but some critics question if it is a property of physics or just a human construct. Deutsch's view of reality heavily relies on this concept, which adds to the controversy surrounding MWI.
QuantumConfusion
As is well known, David Deutsch is a leading proponent of the interpretation of Quantum Mechanics stating that the universe somehow branches into all the possibilities represented by the wavefunction; an ever-evolving multiverse, known as the Many Worlds Interpretation(MWI) or Everettian Interpretation.

In his book "The Beginning of Infinity" he introduces a core principle to derive his justification for probability in these Many Worlds: there exist an infinite amount of fungible universes. So there is no new universe magically spawned each time there's a quantum event, rather they were always there, an infinite identical set of them, but they are fungible. What does this mean? According to Deutsch 'fungibility' means that just like 1 dollar in your bank account is the same as any other dollar you have in your bank account, so is true for all particles in this fungible-multiverse. So the electron you are observing also exist in all the other corresponding universes, this is naturally the main axiom of MWI, however Deutsch makes a point about them not only being identical but fungible.

The concept of fungibility makes perfect sense to me in economics or other human constructs, but is it a property of physics? When we think back to the dollars in your bank account, they are fungible in the minds of everyone participating in the economy, they exist as neural patterns in our brains and as 1s and 0s made up of logic gates in the computers that hold them. I came across someone reviewing Deutsch's book who said lasers are fungible, but I am struggling to find any proof that there exist fungible properties in the real world that are not constructs of other complex processes. The reason this is a point of contention for me is that it underlies Deutsch's entire view of reality, which is quite a postulate to support ones quantum interpretation if it does not exist in known physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of only 1 universe. Isn't the definition of universe, everything? Likewise, some hypothesize about things beyond the universe - how can there be anything beyond the universe if the universe is everything to begin with?

QuantumConfusion said:
I am struggling to find any proof that there exist fungible properties in the real world that are not constructs of other complex processes.
Fungibility is a basic tenet of quantum statistics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identical_particles

rqjoe said:
I know of only 1 universe. Isn't the definition of universe, everything? Likewise, some hypothesize about things beyond the universe - how can there be anything beyond the universe if the universe is everything to begin with?

I think understanding exactly what MW is trying to say will help:
https://www.webofstories.com/play/murray.gell-mann/160

Thanks
Bill

1. What is fungibility in physics?

Fungibility in physics refers to the idea that two particles or systems can be considered identical and interchangeable, regardless of their individual properties or histories.

2. Is fungibility a proven concept in physics?

No, fungibility is still a theoretical concept in physics and has not been proven experimentally. It is a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

3. How does fungibility relate to quantum mechanics?

Fungibility has implications in quantum mechanics, as it challenges the fundamental principle that particles can be distinguished from one another based on their unique properties. It also raises questions about the concept of individual identity in the quantum realm.

4. Can fungibility be observed in real-world systems?

Currently, there is no known way to observe or measure fungibility in real-world systems. Its effects are most significant at the quantum level, where traditional methods of observation and measurement may not apply.

5. What are the potential implications of fungibility in physics?

If fungibility were to be proven in physics, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe and the behavior of particles. It could also have practical applications in areas such as quantum computing and information storage.