Does Everyday Motion Require Lorentz Transformations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorentz transformations and how they apply to everyday speeds. The example of throwing a ball in a moving train is used to illustrate how different observers can have a significant disagreement about the average speed of the ball due to the train's speed being a significant fraction of the ball's speed. The conversation also touches on the use of natural units and how they can affect measurements and calculations.
csmcmillion
Not sure if this belongs in the SR forum, but here goes.

I understand the concepts behind SR and Lorentz transformations and was explaining the the basics to my son by illustrating the classic laser-beam-in-a-train-car explanation. But then I started thinking... If I was in a boxcar w/ a clear wall and was throwing a ball straight up, measuring the time from toss to catch, and then computing the average speed... and an observer was standing outside and performed the same measurement s/he would see the ball take a much longer route than I would (assuming the train was moving at, say, 50 kph). That means we would have a significant disagreement about the average speed we compute for the ball.

Seems that we would need a Lorentz transformation in this case not because any of the speeds are near c, but simply b/c the speed of the train was a significant fraction of the speed of the ball. Am I correct on this? It seems bizarre that two observers would see such different path lengths at everyday speeds. ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The route would only be much longer if time was in units of seconds and distance was in units of meters. However that would not be the correct natural units. If time is in seconds then distance should be in light seconds (roughly 300,000,000 times greater), so the route would only be ever so slightly longer and this would be compensated be a differing measurement of time (between observers) which is a denomination of speed.

Related to Does Everyday Motion Require Lorentz Transformations?

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object with respect to another object or reference point. It is the measurement of an object's movement relative to something else, rather than its absolute movement.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the perspective of an observer, while absolute motion is the actual position and velocity of an object in relation to a fixed reference point. Relative motion is always relative to a reference point, while absolute motion is independent of any reference point.

3. What is the importance of understanding relative motion?

Understanding relative motion is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in relation to each other, and to understand the effects of motion on different systems.

4. How do you calculate relative motion?

To calculate relative motion, you need to know the velocities of two objects and the angle between their directions of motion. You can then use vector addition or trigonometric functions to determine the relative velocity and direction of the objects.

5. Can relative motion affect the outcome of an experiment?

Yes, relative motion can significantly impact the results of an experiment. For example, if an object is moving relative to the reference frame of an observer, the measurements and calculations made by the observer will be affected. It is important to take into account relative motion when conducting experiments to ensure accurate results.