Does e^(-infinity + i*w*infinity) equal 0 or 1?

In summary, "exponential to infinity" refers to a quantity or value that increases without limit. This is different from linear growth, which has a constant rate of increase. Exponential growth can continue indefinitely in theory, but in reality, it is often limited by factors such as resources or competition. Real-life examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. This concept is closely related to the idea of doubling time, which is the time it takes for a quantity to double in size and decreases as the quantity increases in exponential growth.
gomes.
Does e^[(-infinity)+(i*w*infinity)] = 0 or 1?

w = omega

Attachments

• bxcb.jpg
    bxcb.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,576
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's not really quite correct to write that [itex] e^{-\infty+i\omega\infty} [/itex] EQUALS something. But I think you are asking: [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} e^{-x+i\omega x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} e^{-x} e^{i\omega x} [/tex]

Now this last expression has [itex] e^{-x} \rightarrow 0 [/itex] and the imaginary power of [itex] e [/itex] is bounded, so the entire expression goes to 0.

thanks! got it now

Related to Does e^(-infinity + i*w*infinity) equal 0 or 1?

1. What does "exponential to infinity" mean?

"Exponential to infinity" refers to a mathematical concept in which a quantity or value increases without bound or limit. This is often represented by the symbol ∞, which represents infinity.

2. How is exponential to infinity different from linear growth?

Exponential growth is characterized by a rapid increase in a quantity over time, while linear growth is characterized by a constant increase over time. In exponential growth, the rate of increase also increases over time, leading to a steeper curve.

3. Can exponential growth continue indefinitely?

In theory, exponential growth can continue indefinitely. However, in reality, there are often limiting factors such as resources or competition that eventually slow down or stop the growth. This is known as logistic growth.

4. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth in real life include population growth, compound interest in finance, and the spread of diseases in a population. In all of these examples, the quantity being measured increases at an increasing rate over time.

5. How is exponential growth related to the concept of doubling time?

Exponential growth is closely related to the concept of doubling time, which is the amount of time it takes for a quantity to double in size. In exponential growth, the doubling time decreases as the quantity increases, meaning that the rate of increase is also increasing. For example, if a population doubles every 10 years, the doubling time is 10 years. However, if the population starts doubling every 5 years, the doubling time decreases to 5 years.