Does Dirac manipulate his Delta function sensibly?

In summary, Dirac derived an identity involving his delta function, and concluded that if we have an equation A=B and we want to divide both sides by x, we can take care of the possibility of dividing by zero by writing A/x = B/x + Cδ(x), because our original equation is equivalent to A=B+Cxδ(x). He also realized that all the identities are only valid under an integral sign, and that x \delta(x) is not really zero, but it is true that\int x \delta(x) \, dx = 0.
lugita15
In the Principles of Quantum Mechanics, Dirac derives an identity involving his delta function: xδ(x)=0. From this he concludes that if we have an equation A=B and we want to divide both sides by x, we can take care of the possibility of dividing by zero by writing A/x = B/x + Cδ(x), because our original equation is equivalent to A=B+Cxδ(x).

Now Dirac was writing in the 30's, back before they had a rigorous theory of distributions, so he was freely manipulating the Dirac delta. The identity he derived is certainly correct, but is adding a constant multiple of the delta function when you divide by x really mathematically justified? If it is, why isn't this technique more widely adopted, like when solving Laplace's equation or doing quantum mechanics, places where delta functions usually abound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify what Dirac is doing, I have attached the relevant excerpt from his Principles of Quantum Mechanics. What I'm also interested in is his assertion that [itex]\frac{d}{dx} ln(x) = \frac{1}{x} - i\piδ(x)[/itex]. Does that make any sense?

Attachments

• Dirac PQM Excerpt.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Note that Dirac also realizes that all the identities are only valid under an integral sign.
So [itex]x \delta(x)[/itex] is not really zero, but it is true that
[tex]\int x \delta(x) \, dx = 0[/tex]

If you know anything about measure theory, what he is actually saying is that the equalities (7) - (11) hold almost everywhere ("a.e.") - in the strict measure theoretical sense of the word.

I have always wondered when proving that ∫f(x)δ'(x) = ∫f'(x)δ(x) = f'(0) (for f 0 at boundaries) how does it make sense to use integration by parts and argue that f(x)δ(x), the residual term is zero at the boundaries when we can not talk about a function δ(x).

Sina said:
I have always wondered when proving that ∫f(x)δ'(x) = ∫f'(x)δ(x) = f'(0) (for f 0 at boundaries) how does it make sense to use integration by parts and argue that f(x)δ(x), the residual term is zero at the boundaries when we can not talk about a function δ(x).

The identity

[tex]\int dx~ f(x)\delta'(x) = -\int dx~ f'(x) \delta(x) = - f'(0)[/tex]

(note you missed a minus sign) is not derived. Rather, it is a definition made to be consistent with the integration by parts notation.

Well that seems plausible given that it is strange from the start to try taking derivatives of dirac-delta something.

but in great many number of books and one of the exams that I had taken way back in undergraduate and in numerous homeworks infact it is asked for you to show this property and integration by parts is the employed method. so there is still a great confusion about dirac delta distributions :p

Well, that's because integration by parts gives you the "right" answer (by design) if you can be convinced to throw away the boundary terms, and you don't have to understand the theory of generalized functions to get the result!

CompuChip said:
So [itex]x \delta(x)[/itex] is not really zero, but it is true that
[tex]\int x \delta(x) \, dx = 0[/tex]
But by the very definition of Schwartz distributions, the fact that
[tex]\int x \delta(x) \varphi(x) \, dx = 0[/tex]​
for every test function [itex]\varphi[/itex] means that [itex]x \delta(x) = 0[/itex] is an equality of generalized functions.

(a similar statement is true for measure-theoretic distributions)

I didn't know that, never properly learned about distributions. Thanks for that!

Mute said:
Well, that's because integration by parts gives you the "right" answer (by design) if you can be convinced to throw away the boundary terms, and you don't have to understand the theory of generalized functions to get the result!

This made me wonder, is there a formal definition of the derivative of a distribution?

There is, see equations (2) and (3) here.

ah well same thing as above then. I was kind of hoping a more geometric definition from which the above property could be derived

Sina said:
ah well same thing as above then. I was kind of hoping a more geometric definition from which the above property could be derived

Aggree with sina.. please .. i need more geometric definitions

The derivative is, I believe, a continuous operator on the space of tempered distributions. You could, if you wanted, define the distributional derivative as the continuous extension of the ordinary derivative applied to test functions.

Every tempered distribution is a limit (in the space of tempered distributions) of test functions, so this would define the derivative of any tempered distribution.

But the choice of which property to call "definition" doesn't really matter...

Related to Does Dirac manipulate his Delta function sensibly?

1. What is Dirac's Delta function?

Dirac's Delta function is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow and tall spike at a particular point. It is used in physics and engineering to model point sources of energy or mass.

2. How does Dirac manipulate his Delta function?

Dirac manipulates his Delta function by integrating it with other functions to simplify complex equations. He also uses it to represent physical quantities such as impulse or charge density.

3. Is Dirac's Delta function a real function?

No, Dirac's Delta function is not a real function in the traditional sense. It is a generalized function that has properties that are different from regular functions, such as being infinite at a point and zero everywhere else.

4. What is the physical significance of Dirac's Delta function?

The physical significance of Dirac's Delta function lies in its ability to accurately model point sources of energy or mass in the real world. It is used in a wide range of fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dirac's Delta function?

Yes, there are limitations to using Dirac's Delta function. It is a mathematical construct and does not have a physical form, so it cannot be measured directly. It is also not well-defined for certain types of integrals and can lead to mathematical inconsistencies if used incorrectly.