Does Cos(n)/n Converge to Zero as n Approaches Infinity?

In summary: If we only allow n > 0, then the smallest value of the cosine is positive. But I was thinking of the smallest value of the cosine as a number, and that does not depend on n.But we should have gotten something like ##-\epsilon##n < -1, which is a contradiction. You said before that you were confused about this? Now you see why. In fact, you could have seen it a lot earlier, because the assumption n > 1/##\epsilon## is not used. I mean, it's not used in the proof. It's only needed to make the statement that n > 1/##\epsilon##. So you should have worried about
converting1
Use only the definition of convergence to prove ## \dfrac{cos(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0 ##

my proof:

given ## \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. n>N => ## |\dfrac{cos(n)}{n}| < \epsilon ##

## |cos(n)| \leq 1 ## therefore ## \dfrac{|cos(n)|}{|n|} \leq \dfrac{1}{|n|} < \epsilon ## so ## |n| > \dfrac{1}{\epsilon} ##
so choose big N to be 1/e and we get ## |\dfrac{cos(n)}{n}| < \epsilon ##

is this proof ok?

I am also confused about this

from here: ## \dfrac{|cos(n)|}{|n|} < \epsilon ## we can do ## -\epsilon |n| < cos(n) < \epsilon |n| ## and if we consider ## cos(n) < \epsilon |n| ## we get ## \epsilon |n| > -1 ## and therefore ## n > \dfrac{-1}{\epsilon} ## and ## n < \dfrac{1}{\epsilon} ## why do I get two different results contradicting with my first proof, I'm assuming I've gone wrong so if someone could correct me where, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
similarly if I was to prove it using the sandwich theorem, would it be ok in saying ## -1 \leq cos(n) \leq 1 ## and then dividing by n? i.e. ## -1/n \leq cos(n)/n \leq 1/n ## seeing as we don't know if n is negative or not?

converting1 said:
Use only the definition of convergence to prove ## \dfrac{cos(n)}{n} \rightarrow 0 ##

my proof:

given ## \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. n>N => ## |\dfrac{cos(n)}{n}| < \epsilon ##

That is a statement of what you are to prove.

## |cos(n)| \leq 1 ## therefore ## \dfrac{|cos(n)|}{|n|} \leq \dfrac{1}{|n|} < \epsilon ## so ## |n| > \dfrac{1}{\epsilon} ##
so choose big N to be 1/e and we get ## |\dfrac{cos(n)}{n}| < \epsilon ##

is this proof ok?

You have the idea but it would be better to rewrite it in a different order:

Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##. Pick ##N## so that ##N>\frac 1 \epsilon##. Then if ##n > N##, then ##n>\frac 1 \epsilon## so$$
\frac {|\cos(n)|} {n} \le \frac 1 n <\epsilon$$That's all you need to write.

converting1 said:
similarly if I was to prove it using the sandwich theorem, would it be ok in saying ## -1 \leq cos(n) \leq 1 ## and then dividing by n? i.e. ## -1/n \leq cos(n)/n \leq 1/n ## seeing as we don't know if n is negative or not?

You are going to have ##\epsilon > 0## and ##N > \frac 1 \epsilon##, so your ##n## will be positive if ##n>N##.

You didn't say, but from the way you did the proof can we assume n ##\rightarrow \infty##? If so, the proof is fine, altho it seems to have a typo where you wrote "e" instead of ##\epsilon##.
I am also confused about this

from here: |cos(n)||n|<ϵ we can do −ϵ|n|<cos(n)<ϵ|n| and if we consider cos(n)<ϵ|n| we get ϵ|n|>−1 and therefore n>−1ϵ and n<1ϵ why do I get two different results contradicting with my first proof, I'm assuming I've gone wrong so if someone could correct me where, please.

It's |cos(n)|/|n| < ##\epsilon##. If n##\rightarrow \infty## then n > 0, and you don't need the absolute values on n. So you have |cos(n)| < n##\epsilon## where n >1/##\epsilon##. This means only that ##\epsilon##n > 1. So all we are saying here is that |cos(n)| is less than a number which is > 1. That's perfectly fine. Where we would be in trouble is if we concluded that n##\epsilon## < 1, because then it wouldn't be true that |cos(n)| < n##\epsilon## for every n.

The computation you did somehow got the inequalities mixed up. You should have -##\epsilon##n < -1, because you are comparing with the smallest value of cos(n).

Questioning things this way is very good. It forces you to get things absolutely clear, rather than half understanding.

brmath said:
You didn't say, but from the way you did the proof can we assume n ##\rightarrow \infty##? If so, the proof is fine, altho it seems to have a typo where you wrote "e" instead of ##\epsilon##.

It's |cos(n)|/|n| < ##\epsilon##. If n##\rightarrow \infty## then n > 0, and you don't need the absolute values on n. So you have |cos(n)| < n##\epsilon## where n >1/##\epsilon##. This means only that ##\epsilon##n > 1. So all we are saying here is that |cos(n)| is less than a number which is > 1. That's perfectly fine. Where we would be in trouble is if we concluded that n##\epsilon## < 1, because then it wouldn't be true that |cos(n)| < n##\epsilon## for every n.

The computation you did somehow got the inequalities mixed up. You should have -##\epsilon##n < -1, because you are comparing with the smallest value of cos(n).

Questioning things this way is very good. It forces you to get things absolutely clear, rather than half understanding.

continuing from ## -\epsilon|n| < cos(n) < \epsilon|n| ## and looking at the upper inequality only i.e. ## cos(n) < \epsilon|n|## and you said we take the smallest value of cos(n) which is -1 right? so ## \epsilon |n| > -1 ## so ## n > -1/\epsilon ## ? If, however, we take the largest value of cos(n) we get the correct answer. Which ones should we be taking if we had ## -\epsilon|n| < cos(n) < \epsilon|n|##

LCKurtz said:
You are going to have ##\epsilon > 0## and ##N > \frac 1 \epsilon##, so your ##n## will be positive if ##n>N##.

yes but assuming I did not prove that ## n > 1/\epsilon ## then how would I know it's ok to divide by n?

converting1 said:
continuing from ## -\epsilon|n| < cos(n) < \epsilon|n| ## and looking at the upper inequality only i.e. ## cos(n) < \epsilon|n|## and you said we take the smallest value of cos(n) which is -1 right? so ## \epsilon |n| > -1 ## so ## n > -1/\epsilon ## ? If, however, we take the largest value of cos(n) we get the correct answer. Which ones should we be taking if we had ## -\epsilon|n| < cos(n) < \epsilon|n|##

When I said "smallest value of the cosine" I was looking at the left hand inequality. Trying to explain further:

The cosine as you know oscillates between 1 and -1. -n##\epsilon## < cos(n) for every n requires that -n ##\epsilon \le -1##. You have chosen your n > N so that inequality is true. Similarly cos(n) < n##\epsilon## for every n would require n##\epsilon## > 1. Again, because of your choice of n that is true.

Once you've chosen an n so that |cos(n)|/n < ##\epsilon##, all other arithmetic restatements of it have to be true. The restatement you have given here is certainly true because of your choice of n vs the ##\epsilon## that was chosen. Your statement is not useful for convergence purposes, but does serve to force us to think about what these inequalities really mean, and that is a good thing.

Do you understand it better now? Or do we need more discussion?

converting1 said:
yes but assuming I did not prove that ## n > 1/\epsilon ## then how would I know it's ok to divide by n?

I'm not sure why this is an issue for you. You are proving a limit as ##n\to\infty##. You are really only interested in large positive ##n##.

converting1 said:

As ##\epsilon## gets smaller and smaller, N gets larger and larger. If you want to prove the series converges you have to choose an N, and you properly chose it so that N > 1/##\epsilon##, which means for n>N n >1/##\epsilon##. So there is certainly no worry about dividing by n.

You didn't "prove" n >1/##\epsilon##. You chose it in order to show that |cos(n)|/n goes to 0 as n ##\rightarrow \infty##. So no matter what ##\epsilon## you choose there is always an N so that for every n > N |cos(n)|/n < ##\epsilon##.

I think it might help you to review again the definition of convergence as n ##\rightarrow \infty##. I get the impression you haven't quite grasped the idea, even though you did the computation correctly.

Related to Does Cos(n)/n Converge to Zero as n Approaches Infinity?

1. What does "proof of convergence" mean?

"Proof of convergence" refers to the process of demonstrating that a particular mathematical or computational algorithm or series will eventually reach a specific value or state. It is often used in the analysis of algorithms, numerical methods, and optimization techniques.

2. How is proof of convergence different from proof of correctness?

Proof of convergence focuses on showing that an algorithm or series will reach a desired value or state, while proof of correctness focuses on demonstrating that the algorithm or series will always produce the correct result. In other words, proof of convergence is concerned with the behavior of an algorithm over time, while proof of correctness is concerned with the accuracy of the algorithm's final output.

3. What are some common methods used to prove convergence?

Some common methods used to prove convergence include mathematical induction, limit analysis, and convergence tests such as the ratio test, root test, and integral test. These methods vary in their level of complexity and applicability to different types of algorithms or series.

4. Why is proof of convergence important in scientific research?

Proof of convergence is important in scientific research because it provides a way to evaluate the reliability and efficiency of mathematical and computational methods. By demonstrating that an algorithm or series will eventually reach a desired value or state, researchers can have confidence in the accuracy and effectiveness of their results.

5. Can proof of convergence ever fail?

Yes, proof of convergence can fail if the assumptions or conditions of a particular method or algorithm are not met. For example, if the series being analyzed has an infinite number of terms and does not satisfy the conditions for convergence, the proof of convergence may fail. Additionally, errors in the implementation of an algorithm or incorrect assumptions about the input data can also lead to failure of proof of convergence.